Another fun morning in the kitchen. And. A gift from a great friend.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Steve H

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2018
Newark New York
Up early to get things cracking in the kitchen.
After a touch over 3 weeks. I tasted the kraut. It is perfect! Not real strong like store bought. But milder with a awesome crunch and flavor with a mild hint of salt. No Kahm mold seen.
IMG_20221210_051149276.jpg

Is there anything wrong with eating a bowl of kraut at 4AM? lol!
Next, it was time to start some hot sauce.
IMG_20221210_042204265_HDR.jpg

Used dehydrated cayenne peppers. I used the kraut juice for the starter. And, using those ferment caps instead of water locks. Also, a new type of gizmo to keep everything under the brine.
IMG_20221208_171206811 (1).jpg

These should work better than the other style I am using.

IMG_20221210_041615532_HDR.jpg

There's no way anything is going to be above the brine with these. And you have a nice air chamber to evacuate gases.

And. Finally. The gift I'm talking about.

IMG_20221210_032311814_HDR.jpg

8 tray dehydrator. An amazing gift from an amazing, big hearted guy.

IMG_20221209_154251928_HDR.jpg

A couple of London broils for jerky. Using my tried and true recipe. I went thicker on the cuts across the grain.

IMG_20221209_161610747.jpg

IMG_20221210_032821946_HDR.jpg

Only used 5 trays. This bad boy can hold a lot of meat! And cleaning should be much easier than those plastic trays.
IMG_20221210_033719995_HDR.jpg

Locked and loaded!!
IMG_20221210_033749932_HDR.jpg

And, last nights dinner.
IMG_20221208_175306862_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221208_184319792_HDR.jpg

Based this on Domino's Italian sandwiches that we like. Layers of sandwich pepperoni, salami, green peppers, onions, and hot capicola with provolone broiled until warm. And is melted. Drizzle with Italian dressing, Fold together and chow down!

Last edited:
All look fantastic Steve!! Glad the kraut came out good for you! Mine was still a bit salty at 3 weeks but should be good this week. That’s a really nice dehydrator and some fine looking jerky. For that hot sauce did you use fresh brown with a couple tablespoons of kraut brine or all kraut brine?

Reactions: babydoc
All look fantastic Steve!! Glad the kraut came out good for you! Mine was still a bit salty at 3 weeks but should be good this week. That’s a really nice dehydrator and some fine looking jerky. For that hot sauce did you use fresh brown with a couple tablespoons of kraut brine or all kraut brine?
Thanks Jeff! I used a little from store bought. And some fresh brine. About 1/2 cup total in each jar.

Reactions: jcam222
Looks good Steve . I'm still wondering about the kraut . I have a slew of dried peppers . I need try try using them .
That sandwich is topped just like the pizza I had last night . Hot salami is awesome .

Nice work there Steve. Really nice dehydrator. I a fan of Domino's Italian sandwich also.
Thanks Brian!

Very nice Steve , Nice gift from your friend of the dehydrator.
That jerky looks great and so do your sandwiches

David
Thanks David!

Looks good Steve . I'm still wondering about the kraut . I have a slew of dried peppers . I need try try using them .
That sandwich is topped just like the pizza I had last night . Hot salami is awesome .
Thanks chop! If you use dried peppers. You need to use a starter for the brine.

Reactions: DRKsmoking
You need to use a starter for the brine.
I have 2 quarts fermenting now ( reapers and Japs ) that are at 4 weeks . Plan is to get them mixed up today .
So I could use the leftover brine to start dry ? Mixed with distilled water ? What ratio ?

I have 2 quarts fermenting now ( reapers and Japs ) that are at 4 weeks . Plan is to get them mixed up today .
So I could use the leftover brine to start dry ? Mixed with distilled water ? What ratio ?
For a half gallon jar I used:
6 cups of water with 2 TBS of sea salt.
Yes, you can use leftover brine from a ferment. I used 1/2 cup. You can also use fresh veggies to get the ferment going.

Reactions: chopsaw
That jerky looks killer, but that hot sauce really catches my eye. I'm about to dive into fermenting. Not sure what I'm going to start with but it's more than likely kraut.

That jerky looks killer, but that hot sauce really catches my eye. I'm about to dive into fermenting. Not sure what I'm going to start with but it's more than likely kraut.
Thanks! This kraut was a first time fermenting as well.

I'm thinking the Italian sandwich would make a lot nicer breakfast than a bowl of kraut Steve, but that's just me. RAY
lol! Probably!

wow, everything looks so good! great looking dehydrator!
Thanks!

Damn, you where busy boy Steve. That hero (hoagie, sub, grinder) looks awesome. There are so many things I see on this forum I want to get into it is killing me, just too much equipment to store..like grinder, stuffer, dehydrator, slicer.....

Damn, you where busy boy Steve. That hero (hoagie, sub, grinder) looks awesome. There are so many things I see on this forum I want to get into it is killing me, just too much equipment to store..like grinder, stuffer, dehydrator, slicer.....
lol! I was just looking at a vertical gas rotisserie. Ann glanced at my laptop. And said HELL NO!!

When's lunch?
Come on over!

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: mike243 and clifish
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky