Another Food Collage: 3 Meals From Last Week (Long & Lotsa Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
UGH!! I really believe that all 3 of these are worthy of their own thread but did not have time last week to post them. Thought about taking a nasty, gloomy, rainy Sunday yesterday and posting all of them in individual threads but didn't want to blow up the forum. Home early today and decided to do one long post with all three of these.

Made some pepperoni and salami, was slicing it last Sunday to vac seal. Tracy walked through, grabbed a slice of pepperoni, eyebrows went up (it's really good!!) and she decreed that we were having pizza for dinner. Uhhhh....sure thing honey....anything you say dear....looks like I best get some dough going.

The dough after the second proof
001.jpg

I'd just gotten a considerable shipment from The Sausage Maker. Found this little toy on their site and knew I had to get one. It is fantastic!! A real game changer for getting the dough rolled out nicely in the pan.
002.jpg

Dough all rolled out
003.jpg

Sauce, pepperoni, and spicy Italian sausage, all homemade. More pepperoni would have been nice but this was what was left after packaging up the rest of it.
005.jpg

Onions and peppers
006.jpg

Lotsa mozz and some fresh grated Romano. I was in a cheesy mood
007.jpg

Onto the grill and under the pizza dome for 10 or 15 minutes to start melting the cheese and set the crust. Now onto the top rack to finish
009.jpg

Getting close....
010.jpg

Done and sliced for serving
012.jpg

Pizza and cold beer on the patio. Works for me
013.jpg

As most of you know our menu is limited due to some dietary constraints that Tracy has. Beef is our predominant protein and I try to come up with ways to vary the menu. Being that we love Mexican themed meals, I thought this one might be fun. Smothered rib eyes with roasted Mexican orange sauce. There are no oranges in the sauce. That's the color after adding all of the pepper spices.

Start the sauce by roasting onions and a couple huge Roma tomatoes. Onto the Rec Tec at 475 for 30 minutes or so.
023.jpg

While the veggies are on the grill I start getting the spices toasted.Oil, garlic, and the spices in a skillet
024.jpg

Cook till the garlic starts to darken the it becomes very aromatic...and it does smell good!!
025.jpg

Veggies off the grill
026.jpg

Everything into the Ninja and blended up. It is certainly orange
027.jpg

Just had to try some on a chip. It is outstanding!!
028.jpg

Seasoned a couple of nice rib eyes with the Mexican spice blend I put together not too long ago
029.jpg

Grill some peppers and onions
030.jpg

Flash blast the steaks on one side over the screaming hot sear burner
031.jpg

Put the steaks on a CI pan and top with the grilled veggies and some Monterey Jack cheese then under the pizza dome to melt the cheese
033.jpg

These are looking pretty good!!
034.jpg

Plated with some Mexican rice and topped with a nice drizzle of the orange sauce. Weather was terrible so we ate inside.
035.jpg

Ahhhh....I'm thinking I got these about right
036.jpg

This was really, really good. Very authentic based on a similar meal I used to get at our favorite Mexican restaurant...before COVID. The orange sauce is new to me and it's 100% legit Mexican. So good!! Matter of fact, I used it last night to top some tacos we had for dinner. It's gonna be a staple around here.

Now it's time for some sausage Manicotti in a garlic and broccoli cream sauce. A lot of pics with this one :emoji_laughing:

Sausage, cream cheese, Italian herbs, a little salt, and some Romano cheese. I did add a little heavy cream to get the consistency to where it'd go into the shells easier.
006.jpg

Mix it all up to create a God awful looking mess
008.jpg

Put the sausage mix onto the jerky cannon (a story behind this little move)
009.jpg

Shoot the mix into the shells
010.jpg

Now to get the cream sauce going. Garlic, butter, and Italian herbs into a skillet
011.jpg

Saute till the garlic becomes fragrant and add flour
013.jpg

Heat till it becomes a roux
014.jpg

Add the heavy cream
015.jpg

Simmer till it starts to thicken and add the broccoli
016.jpg

Simmer a little longer and now we have a nice cream sauce
017.jpg

Ladle it over the Manicotti. I covered the pan with foil and put it on the grill to heat.
018.jpg

Got some homemade Italian buns out of the freezer. These were made for sandwiches but almost all of them were used in this fashion. Butter and Parmesan cheese on top then onto the grill
019.jpg

Manicotti off the grill
020.jpg

Rolls got away from my by a couple seconds but they were still good. Dinner plated and out to the patio.
023.jpg

This was outstanding. Rich, creamy, and decadent. "Luxurious" is not really in the lexicon of this country boy but if it were, I'd have to say this meal fit the bill. Beware though, it's not a meal for the lactose intolerant :emoji_wink:

Well, that sums up most of last week's meals. Was kinda nice to have a bit of time to play around and do some different stuff. Smoked a couple racks of Dino ribs over the weekend that might just have to get posted also but am still at the point of not wanting to blow the forum up so might wait to post those babies...but man they came out good!! Thanks for sticking with this, assuming you made it all the way to the end. Take care and see y'all again soon.

Robert

Man Robert some great looking meals there. You nailed all of them hard! Hard to choose but I'd really like to jam a few of those manicotti down my pie hole. Big like!

Killer as always Robert! I love the complex builds with simple ingredients, awesome plates, blow it up!!!!

Dude as long as your posting great looking stuff like that...Keep it coming. Heck I'm just adding to my "Roberts suggestions for supper" list.
Jim

Hard to pick a favorite Robert, tho the manicotti really jumps out to me, some really fine work on all those cooks! RAY

Great looking food! How do you get all the pics and cook at the same time...I always have dirty hands and skip most of the prep pics.

Man Robert some great looking meals there. You nailed all of them hard! Hard to choose but I'd really like to jam a few of those manicotti down my pie hole. Big like!
Thanks so much John. All of these were pretty simple. The Manicotti was really good and only about 30 minutes to put it all together.
Blow it up Robert, those meals look fantastic
Very much appreciate it Chris. Not meaning to blow things up, just some simple food that is really good.
Killer as always Robert! I love the complex builds with simple ingredients, awesome plates, blow it up
Thanks very much Jed. Although it's been nice to play around a bit I'm still under time constraints so simple ingredients used correctly is the meal of the day.

Robert

Reactions: bauchjw
Your killing me Robert, excellent cooks. I bookmarked the rib eye one for sure.
Thank you Cliff. The rib eye was perfection if you like Mexican themed food. The seasoning mix I put on it was fantastic along with the beef. Add some veggies and ?Monterey Jack cheese, it's a winner.
Dude as long as your posting great looking stuff like that...Keep it coming. Heck I'm just adding to my "Roberts suggestions for supper" list.
Heck Jim, that must be a very short list. Been fun getting to create some new and interesting stuff. The rib eye was a winner for sure though.
Hard to pick a favorite Robert, tho the manicotti really jumps out to me, some really fine work on all those cooks!
Very much appreciate it my friend. With your heritage, I can see why the Manicotti jumped out. You know we love Italian food around here though so it must be in my blood somewhere...I just have no clue where :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: JLeonard
Robert, it all looks amazing !!! I love your detailed threads.Makes it almost easy enough for me to tackle. Keep the threads coming !

Last edited:
Some great looking dishes Robert! I’d be hard pressed to choose a favorite, but I definitely would smash that smothered ribeye first. The orange sauce sounds delicious.

Great looking food! How do you get all the pics and cook at the same time...I always have dirty hands and skip most of the prep pics.
Thank you Dave. As far as picture taking, I guess it's just good planning :emoji_laughing: I do spend a lot of time washing my hands though. I'm kinda anal about cleanliness in the kitchen and around the cookers....plus I don't like yucking up my phone.
Excellent job on all those cooks. I agree with you TNJAKE TNJAKE , that manacotti!! I'd tear that up in a heartbeat.
Thanks so much....but Jake has yet to reply to this thread :emoji_wink:
Wow!!
What a Bunch of Awesome Vittles!!
Like.
Very much appreciate it Bear. Thanks for the kind words and the like.

Robert

Reactions: sandyut
Robert what spices did you use in the orange sauce?
It's pretty easy stuff to make. The recipe that I used as a base for this had dried chili peppers but I didn't have any so did a little mental math to convert dried to powdered and tweaked as I went.

2 large Roma tomatoes
2-3 onion slices
¼ cup olive or avocado oil
1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons Arbol powder
1 ½ teaspoon Guajillo powder
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons water
1 ½ teaspoons salt

Broil or roast tomatoes and onions till just starting to blister or brown (do not burn)

In a medium skillet add 2 tablespoons of the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pan.

Add garlic and all seasonings and simmer stirring regularly till garlic starts to brown and the mix becomes aromatic.

When onions and tomatoes are done, add to a blender or food processor along with the remaining oil and the rest of the ingredients. Blend till well mixed and a even consistency.

Personally we thought the vinegar was a bit too much. Next time I'll only use 1 T instead of 3. I'd suggest trying that and add more if you like more of the twang.
Nice batch of meals there Robert. I have to get my arse going I've been so busy lately ( always )
and only smoked once a week or so.
Love the pizza , but yes more pepperoni please
Very much appreciate it David. Yep, need to see some more creative potato dishes from you :emoji_laughing: I'm a huge pepperoni fan, especially on pizzas but used to have a problem overdoing all of the ingredients. this time i went a bit too far the other direction. Need about 2x as much as I used on this one. It was still an excellent pizza though with everything being homemade.
Ya killin it man, drop dead delicious lookin vittles Robert.
Thank you my friend!! I sure have been missing your culinary masterpieces though. It is nice to see ya drop in once in a while though knowing how insanely busy you are. Always great to see you.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky