Another Briskett Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bear55

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 7, 2013
South Mississippi
I have a packers brisket weighing 20 lbs.  I plan to separate the brisket as shown here and smoke the two pieces at the same time as I have family coming for a visit.  I own a Bradley smoker and plan to set temp at 200.  Having smoked single briskets in the past and normally taking about 10 - 12 hours depending on size.  Since I will have two slabs for the sake or argument say they weigh 10 lbs each any idea how long it should take to get both done?  My thoughts are still 12 hours or so but I am not sure.  Any help/ideas is greatly appreciated.

I don't have a Bradley but....I think you should turn that temp up just a bit or you're in for a LONG cook.  I recently did a 15#er at avg 260* grate temp on a WSM and it took about an hr per lb.  Hope this helps.

by the time you trim your fat off your brisket and separate the point and the flat you will probably be looking at a 13-15 pound flat. With that being said if you cook at 225-250 and wrap at 160 im gonna guess you can have it ready to pull of and rest in 14-15 hours. 

Well okay, I have the meat separated and you were right, while I did not weigh the trimmings I would guess I took about 4 pounds or so off both pieces.  I have the flat and the point, looks to me like the flat will finish first with the point sometime after that due to the thickness.  Does it mater with an electric smoker which rack you use?  I am guessing not but not sure.  I do plan to wrap and I've seen here that 160 is the temp to shoot for before wrapping.  I followed the directions found here on separating a brisket and while it did not look exactly like the one pictured here I don't think I did too bad a job.  Thanks for you help.

I hear a lot about burned ends and if I understand the process correctly the ends come from the point removed from the smoker cut into cubes and sauced or rubbed again and placed back in the smoker for about two hours..  I am assuming since I believe the flat will be done before the point I could remove the point cube it up and place it back in the smoker for another two hours?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky