Another Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rwilli

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 8, 2018
Central New Mexico
Started a 9 lb brisket flat yesterday with a 3 layer rub (I added some Hungarian Hot Paprika to the BBQ rub for for a little kick---It worked) Let it sit overnight and started the cook on the Yoder 640 with mesquite at 3 AM this morning---finished at 2:30 PM. This brisket stalled at 145 for 2.5 hours, usually mine stall at around 160. Went ahead and wrapped in tin foil with some ACV and cooked to 201. Let rest in a cooler for 3 hours. This brisket was a little dry on the thin end, but very moist and tender on the thick end---It did come out with a killer smoke ring.
Before the cook:
Brisket before.jpg

During the cook:
Brisket during.JPG

Brisket after.JPG

Cook Profile.JPG

Looks great! Thanks for sharing. There seems to be a lot of discussion on getting these flats to turn out - looks like you do it!

So about an hour per pound, running around 225* in the Yoder?

Reactions: rwilli
W
Looks great! Thanks for sharing. There seems to be a lot of discussion on getting these flats to turn out - looks like you do it!

So about an hour per pound, running around 225* in the Yoder?
ell, Sort of. It was cold and windy yesterday so I was losing a lot of heat--onced wrapped I had to bump the Yoder to 300 to get a 225-250 temp on the upper grill. even then, still took 11 hours.

I still have problems cooking the thick end without drying out the thinner end of the flat---any suggestion are appreciated.

Killer smoke ring! What rub did you use?
Actually, I used three rubs. 1st An All purpose Rub (1 Cup Salt, 1 Cup Pepper and 1/2 cup garlic), 2nd a BBQ rub-your choice---then a light layer Montreal steak seasoning----All based on Malcom Reed's (Killer Hogs) Method/recipe. I did add some Hot Hungarian Paprika to the BBQ rub.

Nice looking brisket you got. That there is good eats.

Point for sure

Chris

Reactions: rwilli
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky