Anniversary Breakfast And Burgers On The Flat Top (Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Yesterday was our anniversary. We don't exchange gifts for this or birthdays...and we're not supposed to buy gifts for each other at Christmas but we always do. I decided that I was just gonna cater to Tracy and make her whatever she wanted for meals. That would be my anniversary present to her. From the minute I started taking about getting the griddle she's been dreaming of bacon and pancake breakfast cooked and eaten out on the patio. I'm not a huge fan of pancakes but will eat them on occasion to make sure Tracy is happy. Her favorite bacon to go with them is the maple and brown sugar, one of the two flavors I make and keep on hand at all times.

Bacon defrosted
004.jpg

Pancake batter all done
003.jpg

Time for bacon to hit the flat top
005.jpg

At this point the neighbors are starting to send text messages asking what time breakfast was gonna be ready
006.jpg

Feeling like John Denver: got cakes on the griddle
007.jpg

Ready to eat. Cakes slathered in butter and an amazing Pennsylvania maple syrup
008.jpg

Knowing this wonderful day was gonna fall on a holiday weekend and I'd have all the time in the world to cook, I asked Tracy what she wanted most for our anniversary dinner. It took about 1/4 of a second for her to grin like the Cheshire cat and say cheeseburgers. Really? Anything in the world you want and you're asking for cheeseburgers? Yep...that's what I want. Bacon cheese burgers? Nope...just cheeseburgers. Ok, I get the point so guess what we're having for dinner?

1/2 pound burgers defrosted
009.jpg

Grilled on one side, flipped, add the smoked extra sharp cheddar cheese
010.jpg

Finally get to try what I've seen so many times on cooking shows: cover burgers with a pan and squirt water under the pan to steam and melt the cheese. Got some really yummy buns she picked up that morning lightly toasting also
011.jpg

The steam concept under the pan works like a dream!!
012.jpg

013.jpg

Done, into the house, and ready to start building the burgers
014.jpg

Tomato and onion
015.jpg

Add lettuce, a smear of mayo, side of chips and a pickle. time to chow down!!
019.jpg

Burger was perfectly cooked. Just a hint of pink in the center then top with all fresh veggies and this was a really good burger. She took pity on me since I was gonna be slaving over the hot griddle all day (NOT!!) and didn't make me cut up taters and cook fries. Her highlight was the burger and everything else was secondary. As much as Tracy enjoys a nice meal, I honestly can't say that she's pretentious or overly demanding. Very simple and down to earth. The nice meals are always my idea. When left up to her, it's a basic all American Memorial Day backyard burger and I was fine with that.

Happy Memorial Day everybody!!
Robert

Well Happy Anniversary to you and Tracy Robert, I say you filled out all her requests more than admirably, Like! Our anniversary is this coming Tuesday and Jan says burgers would be perfect, it's one of her favorite meals. I'm waiting for Camp Chef to get back to me as to which flat top they recommend for my Ranger 2 camp stove, Cabelas will send me one for free! I'm a French toast and bacon guy, don't think I've had pancakes in over 30 years. RAY

Looks great Robert ! So far this weekend ive made wings and ribs and might be doing steaks tonight. But now I'm for sure doing burgers in the next couple of days.....that shot of them with the cheese all melted has my mouth watering! Very nice!

Sometimes it's hard to beat a good ole burger, and yours looks tasty! Fresh veggies also help but we gotta wait awhile for tomatoes. Happy anniversary and memorial day to you and Tracy! Looks like you're really enjoying your new flat top!

Ryan

Yesterday was our anniversary. We don't exchange gifts for this or birthdays...and we're not supposed to buy gifts for each other at Christmas but we always do. I decided that I was just gonna cater to Tracy and make her whatever she wanted for meals. That would be my anniversary present to her. From the minute I started taking about getting the griddle she's been dreaming of bacon and pancake breakfast cooked and eaten out on the patio. I'm not a huge fan of pancakes but will eat them on occasion to make sure Tracy is happy. Her favorite bacon to go with them is the maple and brown sugar, one of the two flavors I make and keep on hand at all times.

Bacon defrosted
View attachment 446833

Pancake batter all done
View attachment 446834

View attachment 446835

At this point the neighbors are starting to send text messages asking what time breakfast was gonna be ready
View attachment 446836

View attachment 446837

View attachment 446839

Knowing this wonderful day was gonna fall on a holiday weekend and I'd have all the time in the world to cook, I asked Tracy what she wanted most for our anniversary dinner. It took about 1/4 of a second for her to grin like the Cheshire cat and say cheeseburgers. Really? Anything in the world you want and you're asking for cheeseburgers? Yep...that's what I want. Bacon cheese burgers? Nope...just cheeseburgers. Ok, I get the point so guess what we're having for dinner?

View attachment 446841

View attachment 446842

Finally get to try what I've seen so many times on cooking shows: cover burgers with a pan and squirt water under the pan to steam and melt the cheese. Got some really yummy buns she picked up that morning lightly toasting also
View attachment 446843

View attachment 446844
View attachment 446845

View attachment 446850

Tomato and onion
View attachment 446852

View attachment 446853

Burger was perfectly cooked. Just a hint of pink in the center then top with all fresh veggies and this was a really good burger. She took pity on me since I was gonna be slaving over the hot griddle all day (NOT!!) and didn't make me cut up taters and cook fries. Her highlight was the burger and everything else was secondary. As much as Tracy enjoys a nice meal, I honestly can't say that she's pretentious or overly demanding. Very simple and down to earth. The nice meals are always my idea. When left up to her, it's a basic all American Memorial Day backyard burger and I was fine with that.

Robert
I’m with her, despite my “fancy “ cooking a capabilities cheeseburgers are probably my favorite good. I can always put one or two away. Breakfast and dinner look great and love the John Denver reference lol.

Happy anniversary to y'all two! Everything looks amazing! That must've been a great day with meals like that. She knows what she wants! I'd have to pull a tooth or two over here haha.

worthy of a ride I'd say!

Bacon defrosted
View attachment 446833

Pancake batter all done
View attachment 446834

View attachment 446835

View attachment 446836

View attachment 446837

View attachment 446839

View attachment 446841

View attachment 446842

View attachment 446843

View attachment 446844
View attachment 446845

View attachment 446850

Tomato and onion
View attachment 446852

View attachment 446853

Robert

Looks great!

Smoke ON!

- Jason

Looks great all around Robert! Sometimes you just cant beat a burger cooked on a flat top. Flavor you just cant get off the grill. I did some this past weekend as well. And man that breakfast looks great too. Happy Anniversary to you two! How many years you got under the belt now?

Well Happy Anniversary to you and Tracy Robert, I say you filled out all her requests more than admirably, Like! Our anniversary is this coming Tuesday and Jan says burgers would be perfect, it's one of her favorite meals. I'm waiting for Camp Chef to get back to me as to which flat top they recommend for my Ranger 2 camp stove, Cabelas will send me one for free!

Well thank you my friend. All in all it was a busy but subdued weekend....except for Saturday. Cannot wait to see what you get going with your CI skillets and that griddle top. With those, the SnS, and the Vortex (oh, let's not forget the 360 :emoji_laughing: ) you've added quite a few toys to your arsenal. Looking forward to seeing some pics.

Robert

Reactions: sawhorseray
.that shot of them with the cheese all melted has my mouth watering! Very nice!

Very much appreciate it Travis. I was happy when I lifted the skillet off the top of the burgers. It was a nice sight to see for sure. I'm kinda thinking this may be the way to go when doing burgers.

Robert

Happy anniversary and memorial day to you and Tracy! Looks like you're really enjoying your new flat top

Thank you Ryan...and yes, I'm really enjoying it. I wanted one for a long time but had tunnel vision of getting another large cooker but just didn't have space for it. Then saw the smaller ones and the cogs started turning. I can see a lot of interesting stuff in the future.

Robert

I’m with her, despite my “fancy “ cooking a capabilities cheeseburgers are probably my favorite good. I can always put one or two away. Breakfast and dinner look great and love the John Denver reference lol.

Very much appreciate it Jeff. Truth be told, I do love a good burger also but not the same way Tracy does. I'd say that those and brisket are her two favorite foods on the planet. After all the amazing stuff you've posted I'm having a hard time visualizing you doing a burger but knowing you, it'd be world class all the way!!

Robert

That must've been a great day with meals like that. She knows what she wants!

Thank you my friend. What made it great was the simplicity. It was all good but nothing was a lot of work. I had just enough other stuff on the agenda that easy meals made life much more pleasant.

Robert

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
You gotta love a lady who chooses a cheeseburger for her anniversary dinner.

Thank you Gary. I love her for a lot of reasons but that's certainly one of them. Such simple requests are not difficult to provide and she truly enjoys them. Life ain't bad at Casa TX :emoji_wink:

Robert

Reactions: GaryHibbert
Happy Anniversary to you two! How many years you got under the belt now?

Very much appreciate the kind words John. Been married for 12 and were together for 3 prior to getting married. Old fashioned Catholic beliefs on the part of her family required that I ask mom for Tracy's hand before formerly proposing. Every time I'd try to talk to mom the nephews managed to come screaming in and ruin the moment. Didn't help that we lived 550 miles apart so hooking up to talk was not the easiest thing in the world :emoji_laughing: We got it done though!!

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky