annatto seed

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gdlambertson

Original poster
Jun 1, 2015
Wondering if using annatto seed to make a fine powder could be added to Jeff's original rub for smoking pork chops? Has anyone tried this? Or do you have a rub that uses annatto power as an ingredient?

Haven't used annatto , but have been wanting to get some to help the color of pepperoni .

I just bought some mesquite powder to add to rubs . I really like it .

I have no idea of the flavor of Annatto .

Only way to know for sure is to try it and see what you think. Of course letting us know what you think of it after trying it would be a good thing lol

I use finely ground annatto seeds frequently when making Latin American recipes. In addition to the reddish-orange color it imparts, it has a pleasant nutty and somewhat earthy flavor. That said, I don't believe that I've ever added it to a commercially prepared rub, but it should work fine.

The seeds are very small and like very hard pebbles which are almost impossible to grind properly by hand with something like a mortar and pestle. I use a dedicated electric splice blender, and even then it takes a little while to make sure that they're all completely ground. Also, the finely ground powder will easily stain anything it comes into contact with. Use caution, and immediately clean your grinder afterwards.

Reactions: zwiller
i use the paste you can buy in mexican section for making tacos al pasteur and also for change in the marinade for jerky.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky