Andouille-the real deal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
My extended family has been making andouille for as long as I can remember. The recipe has been in the family for 3 generations. I was planning on posting the recipe eventually, but found this youtube which goes through the process. Andouille is a very basic sausage used as a seasoning meat in cajun cooking. It originally used 'debris'- the heart, kidneys, and scraps from butchering; sometimes even the cleaned intestine. The recipe was spread by word of mouth locally as a way to use up the undesirable parts of the pig and waste nothing using heavy spices and sweet smoke. Today, some people want to play with the recipe adding this or that, but sometimes simplicity shines-. Remember- the cajuns were a practical people and used what they had available from the swamp floor. No exotic spices.

This is it. Only difference is traditionally andouille is pulled through 2" beef middle casing, not regular 26~32mm hog casing used in the video. And pecan and/or hickory with cane stalks were used to smoke the links. The sugary sap from the cane would coat the outside of the andouille making it look almost black like a brisket because the sugar makes the smoke really stick to it. Sugar cane will be hard to come by for most of you, fortunately you can cheat! Pour a 1lb. bag of dark brown sugar on your wood chip pan once the wood is lit and the sweet syrup will coat the links. 

Be sure to pause the video to write the recipe down.

One more point of note- no need to cook to 165* INT, 154* for 12 minutes is plenty enough to kill the bacteria present.

Last edited:

Boy that voice in the vid sounds very familiar.  Is that you Todd from the jambalaya You Tube video???  Great Video on the andouille

and thanks for posting it !!
I am not Todd, but that is Todd in the video. I happened upon it while researching something else. He uses the same recipe my family does, thus my posting it.

I've never made it, but I sure love using it. I made a traditional cajun rice and beans recipe the other night, and andouille was the star. I have lots left over and am very much looking forward to the leftovers!

I get my andouille -- and many other smoked sausage products -- from a very famous local market: the Corralitos Market in Watsonville, CA, right near the epicenter of the 1989 "San Francisco" earthquake.

Sometimes I go there just to walk inside and smell all the incredible smoked meats.

Thank you Indaswamp!
Yes, I wrote the recipe down. I've been using the NOLA recipe, but I'm giving this a go just to see. I was planning Andouille this weekend but now I have to find a 3/4" plate LOL!

Here is a pic. of 120# of andouille we made in 2014 at my cousins house using his smoke house...

The links look almost black, but they are not burnt. That's the sugar syrup, same thing that happens on a brisket or pork butt.....and it is GOOD!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky