Andouille Summer Sausage?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Omnivore

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 11, 2019
I have some freshly ground venison thats cut with 20% pork fat. I'm interested in making andouille since it so versatile and I can use it for breakfasts or add to dinners, but my husband loves summer sausage because its easy to eat while he's on the go at work. I don't really want to make both so wondering if I could stuff some of the andouille mix in the fiberous casings, smoke it, and call it summer sausage. I'm not a fan of coarse ground sausages (which I think is more traditional for andouille, sorry) so everything is already ground through a smaller plate. Would that be weird to do andouille flavored venison summer sausage?

Reactions: SmokinEdge
There is one way to find out! Give it a try. I have done Andouille in fibrous casings and sliced it and it turned out fine.

Reactions: Omnivore
yes andouille can be larger diameter like SS.

on our trips to NOLA we stop at Jacobs in LaPlace, some of theirs are larger.

I don't really want to make both so wondering if I could stuff some of the andouille mix in the fiberous casings, smoke it, and call it summer sausage.

Mariko!! So great to see your smiling face again young lady. Yes, you absolutely can smoke a traditional sausage like Andouille in large diameter casings, slice, and serve in the same way you would Summer Sausage. Matter of fact, over the past few weeks I've done exactly that with just about every sausage I've made, including a Cajun sausage that's typically stuffed into 32 mm natural casings. I've been doing a bunch of different ones and vac sealing them in small quantities for Tracy's lunches and just snacks. It's been working out great so I say GO FOR IT!! There's nothing at all to lose.

Robert

Mariko!! So great to see your smiling face again young lady. Yes, you absolutely can smoke a traditional sausage like Andouille in large diameter casings, slice, and serve in the same way you would Summer Sausage. Matter of fact, over the past few weeks I've done exactly that with just about every sausage I've made, including a Cajun sausage that's typically stuffed into 32 mm natural casings. I've been doing a bunch of different ones and vac sealing them in small quantities for Tracy's lunches and just snacks. It's been working out great so I say GO FOR IT!! There's nothing at all to lose.

Robert
Hey Robert! Funny you mention Cajun sausage - I actually did a search for your Cajun spice mix recently and couldn't find the recipe. Would love to compare it to the andouille recipe I'm thinking about using. Hope you guys are doing well :)

Hey Robert! Funny you mention Cajun sausage - I actually did a search for your Cajun spice mix recently and couldn't find the recipe. Would love to compare it to the andouille recipe I'm thinking about using. Hope you guys are doing well :)

I'm honored that you went looking for the recipe but you won't find it. Never been posted. I got the recipe from a person that was born, raised, and still lives in Southern Louisiana. The recipe is a bit of a family secret. It's been in the family for 5 generations and over 120 years. I did this person a nice favor and in return he shared the recipe but asked that I keep it close to my chest. I cannot share it but I can send you as much of the spice mix as you'd like to have. Just lemme know...

Robert

• Love
I love that you have guarded secret recipes! That is pretty awesome! I might have to take you up on getting some of that spice mix because now I'm even more intrigued. Will shoot you a message. Thank you!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky