Andouille Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cajun_1

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 16, 2006
Idaho
I would like to make some Andouille Sausage. After searching this site, and others, I am at a quander. What type of casing and what size? Anyone have any information?

Stuff the sausage into prepared Hog Casings (Beef middle casings if you can find them).

Recipe
5# Pork Trimmed of tough connective tissue and cut into 2 inch cubes.

Combine the following in a bowl:
2 tsp of Cayenne or to taste (Remember, if you make it too hot, every dish you make with it will be too hot! Start off with a little, you can add more after you taste the finished seasoning)
1 Tbsp Paprika
1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Garlic
1/8 Cup Fresh Ground Black Pepper
3 Tbsp Kosher Salt
1 Tbsp Fresh Thyme leaves, chopped
1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper
1 healthy pinch of Prague Powder#1
1/2 Cup Ice Water

Toss this mixture with the meat, making sure it is well coated. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 days.

Chop half of the meat into 1/4 inch pieces and grind the other half with a coarse grinding plate. Mix the two together with:
1/8 Cup Non-Fat Powdered Milk (this is a binder)

ANDOUILLE SAUSAGE from bro stubbs at stubbs enterprises
Ingredients needed:

1 boneless pork butt, about 5 pounds, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup Rustic Rub
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/4 cup paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons file powder
3 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup chopped garlic

In a mixing bowl, toss the pork with the remaining ingredients
together. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Remove from the
refrigerator and pass the meat through a meat grinder with a 1/2-inch
die attachment. Remove half of the meat and pass through the grinder
a second time. Stuff sausage into 1 1/2-inch casings. Tie
the casings at 4-inch intervals for individual links.

Emeril Lagasse - Recipe IndexAdd this
Page to

Rustic Rub

2 cups
The secret to Louisiana cuisine is in the seasonings we use. They are the heart and soul of our cuisine. We always judge someone's ability to cook by what his or her food tastes like, not what it looks like. Every Louisiana kitchen, be it Mama's or the local butcher shop's, is stocked with a personal spice blend. Many of the recipes in this book include some of this spice mix. The recipe can be doubled or tripled. This seasoning mix is similar to the one in my first book. I like this version for a real and rustic taste.
8 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons cayenne
5 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons garlic powder
3 tablespoons onion powder
6 tablespoons salt
2 1/2 tablespoons dried oregano
2 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme
1. Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl. Blend well.
2. Can be stored in an airtight container in your spice cabinet for up to 3 months.
From Louisiana Real & Rustic by Emeril Lagasse. HarperCollins Publishers. Used by permission.
tongue.gif

if you use the rustic rub--be careful with the peppers...its a little hot as is.

Thanks Larry, the file' powder did the trick. No file', no andouille. The casings are the problem, it doesn't say what type, just size. I would assume "hog" would be ok. What are your thoughts?

Think I saw those on the Sausagemaker site. Thanks Larry.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks for the links Larry. I will check them asap.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Well well....that caribou finally found a way to get escape so here is a new avatar that reflects the smoked meat forums.
But don't worry me and some friends know where he's hideing and we just may go get him come fall ...........LOL
It only took me an hour to figure out how to get it sized and posted...hahahaha.
My son coulda done it in under 30 seconds ...but it was a matter of pride.

icon_surprised.gif
YO GREMLIN DUDE,
Not that okra ever got top billing in a gumbo; it's too bland. Our earliest record of gumbo in the English language is an 1805 account of New Orleans that doesn't even mention okra: "Shrimps are much eaten here; also a dish called gumbo. This last is made of every eatable substance, and especially of those shrimps which can be caught at any time." John James Audubon wrote in 1835, "To me 'Ecrevisses' [crayfish], whether of fresh or salt water, stripped of their coats, and blended into a soup or a 'gombo,' have always been most welcome." Most of the time gumbo requires a modifier: shrimp gumbo, crab gumbo, chicken gumbo, wild duck gumbo, even gopher gumbo. Okra is always there, however, even though it always seems to come last, as in this recent description by food writer Elizabeth Hanby: "A standard, present-day New Orleans recipe for gumbo requires crab, shrimp, oysters, ham or veal, green pepper, celery, filÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] (powdered, dried sassafras leaves), thyme, bay leaf, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper and--of course--okra!"

Thanks Larry, couldn't have said it better. Some people are probably still scratching their heads trying to figure it out.
icon_razz.gif
(pronounced: fe-lay)

Hey Larry, I made up a 5# batch of your Andouille recipe. I was very hesitant about the quantity of spices added. I'm guessing it was about 3/4 of a cup or better all together. Sounded like A LOT for 5#'s of meat. Anyway, I dove in and mixed it up.
WOW! It is great. Wife likes it too. I like it just on bread as a sandwich! I stuffed most of it into hog casings and made patties out of about 1# of it. I was going to smoke it but didn't figure the hog casings would stand for it.... so I just bagged it and it's in the freezer.
Thanks for sharing!

living in the midwest--i heard it first in the honky tonks ...

me oh my
craw fish pie
and file' gumbo----
cause tonite im gonna meet
my michaz amio

play guitar
drink fruit jar
and be gayo---
son of a gun
gonna have big fun
on the bayou
[hank williams]

yup that's what it is, and its a thickener........they use that or sometimes okra in gumbo....... ahhh yes, foodtv once again giving all the needed education for the kitchen!
icon_lol.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky