Andouille Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Where is the recipe for the NOLA Andouille?

I like it spicy!

Thank you
Cook and taste a small patty before you stuff the sausage.  I made the NOLA sausage recipe once and I did not find it to be spicy. Spicy is a very subjective adjective!  

Nice AN-DOOO-HEEE   
drool.gif

The NOLA recipe is a good one.

Looks like you nailed it! That type of sausage is hard to beat and can be used in so many different ways!

That one pic with the sausage that has a hole in it from the probe, if some one ever asks about the hole, tell them your smoker is infested with meat worms! I love doing that to kids.
​Got a big chuckle out of that Cranky Buzzard, I got the image of the kids in my brain. Wow 

Andouille Sausage

My first attempt at Andouille sausage, thanks to Hang Fire Cook Book.

Ingredients:

1 tsp Cure #1
2 lbs + 12 oz Pork Shoulder
7 3/4 oz Pork Back Fat
2 oz Cajun Seasoning
(5 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp onion powder
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp sea salt flakes
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp Chilli flakes)

2 Tbsp Paprika
2 Tbsp Dried Powdered Milk
3 Cloves Of Garlic
2 tsp Ground Black Pepper
1 Tbsp Sea Salt
1 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tsp Red Chilli Flakes
1 tsp Ground Cumin
1 Natural Hog Casing 36/40
Directions:

Mix together Cure #1, Cajun Seasoning, Paprika, Milk Powder, Chopped Garlic, Black Pepper, Salt, Chilli Powder, Red Chilli Flakes and Cumin.
Cube Pork and Fat into 1 inch cubes. Then grind using a course blade.
Mix ground Pork with the spice mix and leave in fridge for at least one hour, I leave over night.
Soak Hog Casing in water for 30 minutes to remove salt.
Test fry mixture to see if seasoning is correct.
I use the course blade again on my grinder with a 20mm sausage stuffer.
Feed Casing onto stuffer Tube.
Fill casing with mixture.
Link Sausages to you desired length, I go for about 14 inches.
The sausages need to, so hang in fridge for two hour until the skins are dry to touch.
Set smoker to 60'C 140'F and smoke with your favorite wood, I used Oak.
Cook for 1 hour at 60'C/140'F
Raise the temperature to 65'C/149'F for a further hour.
Raise the temperature to 70'C/158'F for a further hour.
Then finally set temperature to 80'C/176'F and cook until IT reaches 74'c/165'F.
Remove from smoker and either put into Ice and water bath or spray with cold water.
Refrigerate overnight.

Cubed pork

Back Fat

Spice Mix

Pork Grinding

Added Spice Mix

Stuffed and ready to smoke

All finished

First attempt, and first taste!

Back to The Smokin Monkey Cook Book http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/253497/the-smokin-monkey-cook-book

I just pulled some out the mes using using this recipe and taste is fantastic!

Looks good, I have used the Nola recipe and it was good, Also tried Emeril's fresh one. This yr. we did a 25# batch and mixed the 2 together. We were quite happy it. 

Looks good, I have used the Nola recipe and it was good, Also tried Emeril's fresh one. This yr. we did a 25# batch and mixed the 2 together. We were quite happy it. 

Hey smoknmonkey, I located Hang Fire and the recipe they show is slightly different, did u modify urs. https://www.cooked.com.au/Samantha-...g-Fire-Cookbook/Meat/Andouille-sausage-recipe
Hi Mawil, I did not add the File Powder, as I Googled it, and thought it said it was carcinogenic, but going back and re-reading the information, it's used as an alternative to Safrole, which is carcinogenic, so I will be using File Powder in the future.

Sounds like a big batch.

Reactions: mawil1013
Hi Mawil, I did not add the File Powder, as I Googled it, and thought it said it was carcinogenic, but going back and re-reading the information, it's used as an alternative to Safrole, which is carcinogenic, so I will be using File Powder in the future.
Sounds like a big batch.

Thanks!!!!

I just made this recipe. I thought that the salt was overwhelming. Is this andouille meant to be used only for seasoning and not for eating straight? (That said, I sliced it thinly for my avatar and ate the whole link...

Did you make mine (Hangfire) or Nola Cusine Andouille?

The Nola has a 1/3 more salt content than mine?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky