Amzen what ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jangles

Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
Marana , Az
Well Ive had this thing since right after T Day and I got to tell you it's not that Amazin- to me. I have tried everything that has been posted about keeping the pellets lit but it's a nightmare. I even left the door open and they just burn out. Anyone tried Smokehose pellets ??

Try drying the pellets at 250-275 for a couple of hours to dry them out... Works for me.... Also, are you in the outskirts of town at a higher elevation.... elevation rise reduces available oxygen for the pellets to burn....

Also how are you storing your pellets?  I have mine in old clean dry milk jugs since we get really humid summers in the Midwest.  I still nuke mine before use and have not had issues since I have started doing that.

Well Ive had this thing since right after T Day and I got to tell you it's not that Amazin- to me. I have tried everything that has been posted about keeping the pellets lit but it's a nightmare. I even left the door open and they just burn out. Anyone tried Smokehose pellets ??
Do you want to troubleshoot or look for another supplier?

Try drying the pellets at 250-275 for a couple of hours to dry them out... Works for me.... Also, are you in the outskirts of town at a higher elevation.... elevation rise reduces available oxygen for the pellets to burn....

Also how are you storing your pellets?  I have mine in old clean dry milk jugs since we get really humid summers in the Midwest.  I still nuke mine before use and have not had issues since I have started doing that.
In closed plastic bag they came in.

Do you want to troubleshoot or look for another supplier?
Post speaks for itself.

What kind of smoker do you have?
I have a MES . I left the door open 3 inches to see if that was it but the pellets go out anyway. Chips from Walmart burn fairly  well in original wood tray laying on elements. I'm thinking I just have a bad batch of pellets ???

Thanks for the replies.

This is where the second half of my post comes in . Has anyone used Smokehouse pellets ?

The Plastic bags mine came in had a bunch of small holes mostly likely from the somewhat sharper ends of the pellets which is why I went to the other containers.

Post speaks for itself.

Thanks for the replies.
Does it?

Post Title - Amzen what ?

Post - Well Ive had this thing since right after T Day and I got to tell you it's not that Amazin- to me. I have tried everything that has been posted about keeping the pellets lit but it's a nightmare. I even left the door open and they just burn out. Anyone tried Smokehose pellets ??

You don't ask for help you state that you tried everything and ask about Smokehouse pellets.

That to me says,  you made up your mind already!

If you want help, post what you have tried and maybe we can help. we can also be a big help if there are pictures posted.

I have not used Smokehouse pellets, as they are a blend of alder and flavor wood. They may be more suited for pellet burners like the Traeger.

As the other posters have mentioned, it could be the altitude or the humidity. Try drying them first, and if that doesn't work try a different brand. I use the pellets supplied by the A-MAZE-N website. Usually don't have a problem with those.

A buddy of mine uses Smokehouse pellets but he has a heat source under them as they burn. I use A-Maze-N pellets without any problems. I was running low on pellets back a couple of months ago and mixed the A-MAZE-N pellets with some cheapies from C&C and they got me through the smoke. Maybe mixing some good ones in will help....

Brad

jangles...... afternoon.... Are you using cherry pellets by chance.... If so, they need to be added to oak or something like that.... Cherry won't burn by itself....

I was given a bag of pellets to try in my pellet smoker last spring, I could not get it over 215°. Added some of my regular pellets back in to finish the cook, the freebies all went in the trash after that.
Just saying that there is a difference in pellets, if my FEC couldn't get heat out of them I would venture to say they would not have worked in the A-MAZE-N either.

I have not really had much problems with keeping mine lit. I have found the key is to let the pellets burn with a good flame for at least 10 min, then blow out the flame and it will keep going. I have also made a little mod to my AMZNPS for the harder to keep lit pellets like cherry (as Dave mentions) or just when I am not getting enough air. 

What do you guys think?

I wasn't using Cherry I was using Hickory and Oak . I guess I'm in the minority of people that aren't happy with it. I had just as much success using chips from Wally world . Thanks for all your replies and advice.  I'm done with this thread is there a way to lock or delete it ?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky