AMNPS issuse with mailbox mod

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks like you're getting there. Adding that exhaust out the top of your smoker will make a big difference--always leave it wide open And, I agree that you need more air coming in to the front of the AMNPS. Here's a picture of my home made "mailbox". Been using it successfully for years. The AMNPS sits against the back wall. The big hole st the front is 1 1/4 inch and moves the smoke out of the box into the tube leading to the MES. These are the only holes in the box.
Mailbox.jpg

As for your problem getting the burn to go around the corners...Looks to me like you've kept the pellet height roughly the same throughout. When I load mine, I get real generous at the corners. I heap the pellets up as high as they'll go just before, into, and out of the corner. All that extra heat and glowing coals helps make it around the corner.

Attachments

• P1040745.JPG
    P1040745.JPG
    204.4 KB · Views: 13
Looks like you're getting there. Adding that exhaust out the top of your smoker will make a big difference--always leave it wide open And, I agree that you need more air coming in to the front of the AMNPS. Here's a picture of my home made "mailbox". Been using it successfully for years. The AMNPS sits against the back wall. The big hole st the front is 1 1/4 inch and moves the smoke out of the box into the tube leading to the MES. These are the only holes in the box.
View attachment 627855

As for your problem getting the burn to go around the corners...Looks to me like you've kept the pellet height roughly the same throughout. When I load mine, I get real generous at the corners. I heap the pellets up as high as they'll go just before, into, and out of the corner. All that extra heat and glowing coals helps make it around the corner.

I have 3, 1" holes and 6, .5" holes. I think that is enough if I can just round the corner. I'm doing a pastrami smoke this morning from a 4 pound corn beef I bought on sale. I piled the pellets high like you suggested. I'm an hour in and so far so good! I'll keep everyone updated on how it does today with the hight pellet level.

Thanks for your advice

Reactions: tallbm
The upper hole stops the smoke from recirculating in the MB Mod... Recirculating smoke is very low on oxygen...
First, cut the insulation to clear the holes in the top... Leave 1-2" clearance from the holes you drilled in the smoker...

3 --- 1" holes...
Mailbox mod 2.jpg

1-- 3" hole
mailbox int..jpg

Mailbox mod hooked up.jpg

My pellets used to go out during a smoke.. Since elevating the maze, no more burn outs.. They generally need air from all sides to smolder properly....

3-- legs to allow air to feed the pellets from all sides...
Beef Ribs 010.JPG

Reactions: GaryHibbert
The upper hole stops the smoke from recirculating in the MB Mod... Recirculating smoke is very low on oxygen...
First, cut the insulation to clear the holes in the top... Leave 1-2" clearance from the holes you drilled in the smoker...

3 --- 1" holes...
View attachment 627881

1-- 3" hole
View attachment 627882

View attachment 627884
My pellets used to go out during a smoke.. Since elevating the maze, no more burn outs.. They generally need air from all sides to smolder properly....

3-- legs to allow air to feed the pellets from all sides...
View attachment 627886
Thank you! I did end up adding legs and I have the 3 holes you've shown. I added a smokestack too and things are going well this morning. The tray has burned for 3 hours, with a flare up into flame around 1.5 hours and is turning the corner now.

What type pellets you running, sometimes the fruit ones dont burn so well.
Traeger signature maple cherry artisanal hardwood blend

Attachments

• 16489185379152202431906773601342.jpg
    16489185379152202431906773601342.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 11
I had issues with the pastrami smoke. The tray wouldn't tun the corner. I ended up burning one side and then rotating the tray and burning the other about 4 hours later. With 8 hours of smoke the pastrami came out fantastic (sorry, I forgot to take pics) but I was still disappointed in the tray and mailbox.

I ended up drilling 4 more holes in the sides of the mailbox and switched pellets to Bear Mountain Hickory from Traeger signature blend. I also added a small wind break that just covers the mailbox, not the smoker. I don't know what did the trick or if it was a combination but I had success yesterday. I did a dry run and got 12 hours of uninterrupted smoke while only needing to mess with the smoker once. 1.5 hours in I had to blow out a flame flare up in the tray, after that it was smooth sailing.

I'm looking forward to my 12+ hour pork butt smoke this coming Friday.

Sounds like your fixing your issues, hopefully you'll have a good run. If you keep getting flare ups I would just start blocking one hole at a time until the flare ups dont happen.

Reactions: Jcarter93
I had issues with the pastrami smoke. The tray wouldn't tun the corner. I ended up burning one side and then rotating the tray and burning the other about 4 hours later. With 8 hours of smoke the pastrami came out fantastic (sorry, I forgot to take pics) but I was still disappointed in the tray and mailbox.

I ended up drilling 4 more holes in the sides of the mailbox and switched pellets to Bear Mountain Hickory from Traeger signature blend. I also added a small wind break that just covers the mailbox, not the smoker. I don't know what did the trick or if it was a combination but I had success yesterday. I did a dry run and got 12 hours of uninterrupted smoke while only needing to mess with the smoker once. 1.5 hours in I had to blow out a flame flare up in the tray, after that it was smooth sailing.

I'm looking forward to my 12+ hour pork butt smoke this coming Friday.
Sounds like you are getting it sorted out.

Like all systems you tinker with it a bit and learn it, then you rock and roll :)

Reactions: Jcarter93
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky