Aluminum tanks?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yes you can weld it but it takes someone that knows how to do it. Call around to fab shops and check on costs.

The processes involved in welding say a steel firebox to an aluminum are not really worth the effort in my opinion. Then you have to think about hinges, grate rails, exhaust. With some creative thinking a lot of these could however be bolted to the tank it just depends on whether it is worth the effort or just easier to get a steel vessel like a propane or air compressor tank.

The processes involved in welding say a steel firebox to an aluminum are not really worth the effort in my opinion. Then you have to think about hinges, grate rails, exhaust. With some creative thinking a lot of these could however be bolted to the tank it just depends on whether it is worth the effort or just easier to get a steel vessel like a propane or air compressor tank.
Okay. Scratch that idea. 

Thanks!

I would also think that depending upon the grade of the aluminum, at the firebox there could be the potential for close to melting temperatures.

Well first off. That is a fuel tank off a semi. Aluminum is pours so done of the fuel will be left in it no mater what you do. Second. Not very good heat retention. Third if it gets to hot it puts off fumes that can be poisonous.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky