All this wagyu Talk

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
Question for the pitmasters. Let’s say I have a jackass friend who bought an A5 15lb packer back in the Fall of 2019 planning to cook summer 2020. Same guy didn’t ever smoke it because of the Covid disaster and not having large gatherings. He has been keeping the brisket in a deep freeze very well and tightly vacuum sealed. Which is the better option with this premium piece of meat losing quality by the month.
1. Keep it in the deep freeze for another 3-6 months for a gathering.
2. Smoke it, slice it up and store in deep freeze.
This friend and his horrible timing on the purchase is just torn between the options and worried it continues to lose quality - so should he just smoke it and store to before it loses more? Or is storing it after smoking it just as impactful tothe quality of the product as keeping it raw in the deep freeze for 6more months. My friend will appreciate the advice from the pros on here.

Sounds like you need to pick better friends.... :emoji_wink: :emoji_laughing: . No input waiting to see what the others have to say.
Jim

I've heard various things about long term freezing. I've never worried about it. I'm thinking thawing and re-freezing does more harm, though. I usually cook, slice, vac-seal in portions and freeze, but I'm going from fresh not frozen.
If it were me I would leave it frozen and cook when he can. It's already been in there over a year. What can a few months hurt?

Can't help with an honest answer much more than if it's properly sealed I wouldn't think a few more months would make a difference. But if you're really concerned take it to the gathering at TNJAKE TNJAKE s at the end of April... I'm sure they would be happy to help ya solve this issue! :emoji_blush:

Ryan

Can't help with an honest answer much more than if it's properly sealed I wouldn't think a few more months would make a difference. But if you're really concerned take it to the gathering at TNJAKE TNJAKE s at the end of April... I'm sure they would be happy to help ya solve this issue! :emoji_blush:

Ryan
Well played

I can say I just did a point that been froze for a couple years and was one of the best I have done. Was vacuumed sealed.
Interesting you say that with it being a point and a higher fat content. This thing has crazy marbling throughout. I wonder if the higher fat content allows it to keep better than a leaner cut.

Some time ago I discovered a prime grade rib roast at the bottom of a chest freezer that had been there 17 months, very well sealed. I thawed and cooked it and it was perfect. I'm inclined to think that thawing your precious brisket, then smoking or cooking it by some other method followed by another freezing/thawing cycle and a warming period would lead to some degree of degradation. That said, I could be wrong but I wouldn't be risking it if I were you.

check out the marbling in this thing. It was a 30lb brisket they cut lengthwise. Not as good as cooked pics but nonetheless
00C5E35F-5061-44AF-8610-151E1B8FE6EB.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: JLeonard
As some others have said if vacuum sealed well then leave it in the freezer till ready to smoke it. I have found meat of all kinds that had been vacuum sealed and in the freezer for 2-3-4 years and it has all tasted just as good as fresh purchased and cooked as long as it was sealed well

you’re on to me - That jackass might just be me. Sounds like you have till the fall to get to Chi-town

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky