Alder....Yeah??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I work next door to a custom cabinet shop. never thought about checkin it out for scrapwood. might be a good sorce of cheap exsotic woods.

I wish I would have read this thread half an hour ago.. I just ordewred wild cherry, sugar maple, and hickory on line. almost got alde insted of the hickory and would have if I saw this first..

Steve

I would probably shy away from scrapwood as many times lumbermills will put in chemicals to help prevent wood from rotting, etc. that I wouldn't want to have floating around in my smoker. I'd probably either find some naturally if you are in an area that has alder trees or buy some that's meant for smoking. Good luck.

Cabinet shops don't and won't use treated woods for the construction of there millworks-I don't think theres a building code in the country that would allow it-sure pressure treated lumber is used in the construction of many homes-the norm is where it will meet concrete,and that will be in the form of 2x4's-2x6's ETC,which of course one wouldn't want to use in a smoker.Cabinet grade hardwoods are either air or kiln dried and in almost all cases would be fine for useing in the smoker-It would be the same as going into your local depot store and buying a board of Oak or Hickory from them.

might you be a racer from canadia. I work for a canadian race track owner during the summer months(how can you make your race cars go fast with square wheels?)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky