Alabama BBQ Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maloff28

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Orlando, Florida
Reactions: dukeburger
Boy it sure looks good from here!

Did you leave it in the fridge overnight uncovered?

This will help dry out the skin & it will be more crispy.

Also a little corn starch in the rub will help too.

Al

Reactions: maloff28
Thank you Al. I kind of threw it together quickly so I did not leave it out overnight. Thought about cornstarch in the rub but did not do it. Thank you for the great suggestions. I love the flavor from the smoked chicken but would just love to get the skin right.  

Oh man... Alabama White sauce and chicken! I'm Drooling! Yours look fantastic!

A couple things that I have come to the conclusion on when it comes to attempting getting crispy chicken skin. I always come back to this:

If you are saucing it anyway, (BBQ, Alabama, teriyaki or whatever), that is most certainly a loosing proposition to expect perfectly crispy skin.  So don't try so hard. But if you do... Dry, dry, dry,,, Try this next time:
  •  Pat chicken DRY of any water on the outside and inside. Its better if the chicken was NOT "Fortified" with a brine solution.
  • Make a paste of corn starch and vodka and smear it on the bird and into the fridge the night before- do not cover or wrap. Alternatively you can also wipe or spritz on the vodka then dust on the corn starch.  You can add also add rub or seasonings at this point  if you want. The alcohol and corn starch will pull out much water from the skin as it evaporates and will leave no alcohol taste.
  • DO NOT add butter (on or under the skin), olive oil, mustard, or any bbq sauce before or during cooking. Doing that will make the chicken moist- but also the SKIN!  Either serve the sauce on the side or add your sauce only at the very end- AFTER the skin is ALREADY CRISPY
Lastly... I gotta say, your chicken looks like its cooked to perfect doneness and looks very juicy. Nothing wrong with what I am seeing!

Reactions: maloff28
Thank you for the compliment and the excellent tips.

Seems like the cornstarch is the trick. I have done that for "fried" wings made in the over and it worked amazing. Will have to give it a go on the smoker!

Nice looking Bama chicks.

As mentioned saucing is an issue even if you have done the steps mentioned above. You are basically adding moisture back in to what you've dried.

The best way is to dry over night. Use a dry brine of salt and baking powder. For a whole bird I'd mix 2 tablespoons of salt with 1/2 teaspoon baking powder. This is good for 4-6 pounds. First pat the chicken or parts dry. Then rub with the salt and baking powder. Place on a rack suspended over a container and place into the fridge for at least 8 hours and up to 24-30 hours.

Cornstarch was mentioned above with vodka. That too will work, but I have achieved better results with the baking powder.

Then cook. If you plan on saucing do so the last 15 minutes of your cook.

Another option when saucing is to just remove the skin altogether. Makes smoked bird will still be moist as long as you don't over cook it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky