Akorn resurrection blues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
Greetings y’all,

Just a quick update on my attempts to resurrect a garage sale akorn, reaching out for suggestions and maybe just needing to be shook back to reality.

As I mentioned earlier this akorn was a $50.00 garage sale find. Being impulsive and looking for better ways to do things I bought it without much interweb research on the driveway of the seller. I have since learned much and I have had to replace the fire bowl, add a diffuser stone, and now replace the main grate as well a numerous latch mods.. I know this is a pittance but my experiment is at $150 investment. I have spent hours on different smoking forums researching many different Brands, styles, and costs to find a Kamado solution. My first impression is that the Chargri IMG-2763.JPG ller Akorn, is built cheaper than a Chevy truck. In preparation for my first smoke I was moving the grill to get under a patio light to arrange a lump pile. The main latch on the lid released and the whole thing went ass-over apple cart. When the grate hit the patio it shattered like a cheap a wine glass. I am waiting for an Amazon delivery within aftermarket steel grate to attempt a butt tomorrow. I was directed by another forum number(1more Ford) here to a fantastic tutorial on fire management, particularly on an Akorn.

Maybe I am not a candidate for Kamado style cooking. Please be frank with your assessments. I am a big fan of interest-free purchases and have credit lines at most of the big box stores. My biggest issue is that I like to see and touch something before I buy it, and most of these outlets only have ship-to-home and none in stock.

OK, whining over. I’ll let you know how the butt goes. If it starts to torch, I can always yank it and fire up my faithful OK Joe reverse flow, which I have become very adept at using thanks too many of your inputs.

Over- and out

john

Hey John

I have had similar issues with things going south on my cookers. My first kamado style was an Akorn followed by BGE and now have a Komodo Kamado. It will take time to get used to temp control and operating daisy wheel. Bbq guru style system will def help but dont get discouraged

if you are looking to upgrade go with the Joe. IMO better than BGE and more accessories comes with it. If willing to splurge you can get the KK and worth every penny I believe

one thing I noticed is I dont get as good of quality of brisket on Kamado as I do Offset. Much better back on the OKJ. Ribs and butts are about equal

good luck

Reactions: fxsales1959
Hey John

I have had similar issues with things going south on my cookers. My first kamado style was an Akorn followed by BGE and now have a Komodo Kamado. It will take time to get used to temp control and operating daisy wheel. Bbq guru style system will def help but dont get discouraged

if you are looking to upgrade go with the Joe. IMO better than BGE and more accessories comes with it. If willing to splurge you can get the KK and worth every penny I believe

one thing I noticed is I dont get as good of quality of brisket on Kamado as I do Offset. Much better back on the OKJ. Ribs and butts are about equal

good luck
thank you, I'm going to give it a go tomorrow. unfortunately i cant return the firebowl, but can't sell it without a grate.
mama isn't happy with the congestion on the patio. the Akorn would be fine to keep for grilling steaks and such.
I kinda thought the smoke on big things might suffer on a kamado.
thanks
john

I will saw my Mrs/parents had same thought as I stored all sorts of cookers between the two houses. At one point I had up to 5. Now I have it down to a modded OKJ Longhorn (will be replaced with new build over next few months) and a Komodo Kamado. I can do pretty much everything with ease on these two cookers with no issues. Might be worth throwing everything but the offset on marketplace and use the funds to purchase a high end Komodo. Just a thought

Reactions: fxsales1959
I will saw my Mrs/parents had same thought as I stored all sorts of cookers between the two houses. At one point I had up to 5. Now I have it down to a modded OKJ Longhorn (will be replaced with new build over next few months) and a Komodo Kamado. I can do pretty much everything with ease on these two cookers with no issues. Might be worth throwing everything but the offset on marketplace and use the funds to purchase a high end Komodo. Just a thought
thank you
My fixed up OKJ highland reverse makes the best food with a little fiddling. I'm up to 5 now. still like my electric MES for bacon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky