Akorn maiden run this weekend

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hooked on smoke

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Southern California.

Got a killer deal on this, $179.00 from a local home improvement store. My awsome wife texted me a picture and I was there in 15 minutes. Seasoned it and went to another store that actually stocks these and bought it.

Looking forward to trying the new toy.
I'm curious, I'm not used to using lump. For the seasoning I used Royal Oak lumps. The 1st bag I bought is full of very tiny pcs and a few very large pcs. I loaded the bottom and put in a Weber wax starter. The temp got up to 600ish. Before I figured out the vents. Got it down to 400 and it held well for a good time. Kinda cool, this is a work in progress. Gotta love it.
I'll share as I go.
Thank you everyone for the shares and helpful tips. Please keep them coming, this rookie needs the help.

As your finding out there is a slight learning curve with the Kamado.
I usually start adjusting my vents about 50 degrees before my target temp.
The Royal Oak seems to be hit or miss on the size of the lump.
Enjoy your smoker!!

Got a killer deal on this, $179.00 from a local home improvement store. My awsome wife texted me a picture and I was there in 15 minutes. Seasoned it and went to another store that actually stocks these and bought it.

Looking forward to trying the new toy.
I'm curious, I'm not used to using lump. For the seasoning I used Royal Oak lumps. The 1st bag I bought is full of very tiny pcs and a few very large pcs. I loaded the bottom and put in a Weber wax starter. The temp got up to 600ish. Before I figured out the vents. Got it down to 400 and it held well for a good time. Kinda cool, this is a work in progress. Gotta love it.
I'll share as I go.
Thank you everyone for the shares and helpful tips. Please keep them coming, this rookie needs the help.
I struggled for a long time to keep the temp down to the smoking range.  What I've found is that this thing is SO insulated that it takes only a couple pieces of lit lump to bring it up to 250 and hold it.  

The weber cubes - even 1/2 of one - will be too much.  I've had success with two methods:

1. use a single cotton ball soaked with alcohol inserted into a little hole I make in the lump.

2. light just a couple of pieces (literally just two or three) outside of the grill (either in a chimney or take a couple of lit pieces out of my baby smokey joe if I have it running) and place them in a similar hole (then cover with big pieces.)

It's VERY easy to have your temps get too high, then hard to bring back down without putting out the fire altogether.

I adjust at around 150, and what I've found (after a couple frustrating years) is that I make the bottom almost closed, then fine-tune with the top.  For a long time, I was smoking with both just barely cracked open (since I was constantly fighting high temps) and I can't imagine that "sitting" smoke is the best thing for a cook.

Good luck - please post any tips you learn, I'm always looking to get better with this thing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky