Akorn lump stating point.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fxsales1959

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Dec 17, 2019
PembrokePines, FL
Mornin' 'all,
Earlier i posted about my cheapo garage sale Akorn, and I'm getting ready to try my first "real cook." I've have done the mods to the lid, bought a new fire bowl and stone. To get used to the process I threw some lump in here with a tumbleweed to sear some t-bones. I obviously put too much. sucker went to 600 until i shut the vents. so tomorrow I am going to attempt a butt since they were on sale and cheap in case I torched it. So, what's aa good starting amount of lump? I quit royal oak and bought some expert grill lump at wally world because the bags are easier to manage and less marble sized lumps.. So what's a good amount to start with as to not end up in dante's inferno, and still maintain temp for the cook. I know this is a learning curve bu have to start somewhere.
thank you all!

Not familiar with your smoker but my opinion is to start with a 1/4 to 1/2 of the amount ya did last time and see what happens, butts are very forgiving and hard to mess up to bad.

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
thanks jim,
first attempt at low and slow with a kamado. last night loaded it up cause i wanted 550 to sear steaks. hit it easy.
look like i'll be baby sitting tomorrow until i learn the Akorn Kamado style. that's why i got a butt. $1.79/lb and forgiving.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky