Airflow problem

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

MattCats10

Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Good morning folks! Have a question about airflow, but first a little background:

I'm using a Chargriller 5050 w/SFB. I have updated with mods to include gasket around the lid and a lowered vent tube. For a baffle, I was turning over the charcoal grate in the chamber, but had huge temp difference at grate level (+/- 30 degrees) from one side to the other. To combat this problem, I added a layer of heavy duty aluminum foil to close the gap between SFB and "baffle plate."

The problem: While I now have great temp difference across the chamber at grate level (+/- 5 degrees), it seems I'm not getting enough air to the wood/charcoal.

The question: would a baffle plate with holes - the upside down charcoal grate has none - help alleviate this problem? I was looking at purchasing one from a mod website, but thought I'd check with the experts before spending any cash.

Any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Matt

Many members have found that a 2nd set of air inlets, directly across from the FB/CC opening, moves heat from the FB to the CC and evens out the heat... Also it burns creosote in the FB....

Smoker Exh and Intakes 2.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky