Aging harvested meats....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
For those that harvest and process their own meats, here are some interesting things to consider....

Chapter 1 - Principles of Meat Science
Meat is composed of: water - 75%
protein - 20%
fat (varies greatly) - 3%
sugar (glycogen, glucose) - 1%
vitamins and minerals - 1%
Different animals or even meat cuts from the same animal exhibit different proportions of above components and this depends on the animal’s physical activity and type of diet. Those factors not only affect animal meat’s components, but the color of the meat as well.
Meat contains about 75% of water but fat contains only 10-15%.
This implies that a fatty meat will lose moisture faster as it has less moisture to begin with, the fact which is important when making air dried or slow fermented products. As the animal matures, it usually increases in fatness, which causes a proportional loss of water.
Meat Aging
When an animal dies, the oxygen stops flowing and many reactions take place inside. For a few hours the meat remains relaxed and may still be processed or cooked. Then muscles contract and the meat stiffens which is known as the “rigor mortis” stage. During that stage, which lasts differently for different animals, the meat should not be processed or cooked as the resulting product will be tough. Meat stock prepared from meats still in the rigor mortis stage is cloudy and has poor flavor. When this stage ends, the meat enters rigor stage and is kept in a cooler. In time it becomes tender again and is ready for processing. It is widely accepted that this happens due to the changes in the protein structure.
The length of rigor mortis or rigor stage directly depends on temperature. The higher the temperature, the shorter the stages and vice versa. Make note that aging meat at high temperature will help bacteria to grow and will adversely affect meat’s shelf keeping qualities.
mortis.
Times for onset and resolution of rigor
Cattle 12 - 24 hours 2 - 10 days
Pigs 6 - 12 hours 1 - 2 days
Lamb 7 - 8 hours 1 day
Turkey ½ - 2 hours 6 - 24 hours
Chicken ½ - 1 hour 4 - 6 hours
Rabbit 12 - 20 hours 2 - 7 days
Venison 24 - 36 hours 6 - 14 days
Looking at the above data, it becomes conclusive that the aging process is more important for animals which are older at the slaughter time (cattle, venison). Warm meat of a freshly slaughtered animal exhibits the highest quality and juiciness. Unfortunately there is a very narrow window of opportunity for processing it. The slaughter house and the meat plant must be located within the same building to be effective.
Meat that we buy in a supermarket has already been aged by a packing house. If an animal carcass is cooled too rapidly (below 50° F, 10° C) before the onset of the rigor (within 10 hours), the muscles may contract which results in tough meat when cooked. This is known as “cold shortening.” To prevent this the carcass is kept at room temperature for some hours to accelerate rigor and then aged at between 30-41° F, (-1 - 5° C).
pH of the meat
When an animal is alive the pH (acidity) value of its meat is around 7.0 (neutral point). After the slaughter and bleeding, the oxygen supply is interrupted and enzymes start converting glycogen (meat sugar) into lactic acid. This lowers the pH (increases acidity) of the meat and the process is known as glycolysis. This drop is as follows:
Beef - pH of 5.4 to 5.7 at 18-24 hours after slaughter.
Pork - pH of 5.4 to 5.8 at 6-10 hours after slaughter.
The concept of pH is also covered in Chapter 20 - Fermented Sausages. Understanding pH of meat is quite important as it allows us to classify meats by the pH and to predict how much water a particular type can hold. If you drink lemon juice or vinegar you know the acidic taste of it. Gentle foods such as milk will be found on the opposite end of the scale.

Marianski, Stanley. Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages (Kindle Locations 87-91). Bookmagic LLC. Kindle Edition.

I am fortunate that I am able to hunt on my on land behind my home. I have a skinning shed on the property. Normally from the time the buck hits the ground until he is quartered and on ice is about an hour. I clean em quick. I usually let em stay in ice water bath for a few days draining the melt and adding more ice. Then take to the processor that makes my sausage and cuts my hind quarters and such into steaks. Never had any issues with the meat. I always thought the quicker on the ice the better. What is your opinion. Thanks

I am fortunate that I am able to hunt on my on land behind my home. I have a skinning shed on the property. Normally from the time the buck hits the ground until he is quartered and on ice is about an hour. I clean em quick. I usually let em stay in ice water bath for a few days draining the melt and adding more ice. Then take to the processor that makes my sausage and cuts my hind quarters and such into steaks. Never had any issues with the meat. I always thought the quicker on the ice the better. What is your opinion. Thanks

My opinion.... I always tend to lean toward the scientific community for their findings...
I have thought about their findings and related back to my harvests and cooking experiences...
I once caught a brown trout... about 23"... cleaned it on the boat... took it home, seasoned and fired up the grill.... It was in rigor.... while cooking it, it shrunk... big time... When it was finally cooked, it was about 12" long... had bad flavor... I had no idea why.... Now I know....
I guess rigor has an effect on fish also...

Reactions: JC in GB
Im of the opinion that the quicker I get my deer in the fridge and cooled down the better it is, i have killed some and had them skinned and 1/4 in less than a hour, processed the next day, typically 6 hrs or less depending on temps, higher the temps the quicker i get it in a cooler or fridge, I have aged a week inthe fridge and really cant tell a difference in tenderness but loose more meat as I cut any dark or dried out off

Ice water bath...hmmm...well I prefer air drying while cooling meat.
We used to hang ours about 2 weeks. Because of weather we would hang at sunset until sunrise, take them down and wrap in sleeping bags place on floor coolest room in house ...repeat. Some time though the 2 week goal was not met and cutting wrapping and freezing

Well Dave, Great info. You always keep science in mind. Don't always care if I follow everything to the T. This one is screenshot. Like

Glad my grandpap knew what he was doing. 7 days for beef, 2 days for pigs and 3 or 4 for venison.

Reactions: chopsaw
My hunt is 3 or 4 days at a time because of travel . So if I harvest early , and weather permits , Ill hang up until I need to de bone so I can get home . I don't move the carcass out of the area it came from .
State conservation web sites have great info on how to handle your harvest .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky