After a dismal failure at summer sausage.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So what was the failure at the summer sausage? I am curious because I just did my first batch of summer sausage.

So what was the failure at the summer sausage? I am curious because I just did my first batch of summer sausage.
New techniques. New to me equipment. Fail! Huge bag failure, and casing separation. Second attempt. Better looking. But taste/texture profile off.
3rd go. New and better vacuum bags. Adjusted temp and time. Now I have a winner. I've done a lot of SS with both the smoker. And oven. With great results.
Read this thread. Then this one.

Reactions: tallbm and bbqjefff
New techniques. New to me equipment. Fail! Huge bag failure, and casing separation. Second attempt. Better looking. But taste/texture profile off.
3rd go. New and better vacuum bags. Adjusted temp and time. Now I have a winner. I've done a lot of SS with both the smoker. And oven. With great results.
Read this thread. Then this one.
Thanks. I am new to making summer sausage and I want to learn all I can.

You've come to the right place my friend. How was your first go at it?
I thoght it was good. I was nervous at first but I grew to really like it. I think I could have had more jalapenos in it though. It was jalapeno cheddar pork summer sausage.

I thoght it was good. I was nervous at first but I grew to really like it. I think I could have had more jalapenos in it though. It was jalapeno cheddar pork summer sausage.
What recipe did you use? We are always looking for ideas.

Reactions: bbqjefff
I took stuff from different recipes and substituted ingredients. And did 6 pounds of pork so had to do the math for the proportions.
Ok. I good thing to get in the habit of. Is taking notes of your work to reference. Especially when nosey folks start asking for your recipes! Like me!

Reactions: bbqjefff
Ok. I good thing to get in the habit of. Is taking notes of your work to reference. Especially when nosey folks start asking for your recipes! Like me!
Yeah I definitely need to do that. I do it with my bbq but didn't really do it with this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky