After a dismal failure at summer sausage.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Just wondering what your time and temp schedule was ?

If you're using the Inkbird sealer that a lot of use bought awhile back , make sure it's locked down good on both corners .
I found on mine that the right side would engaged enough to run the operation , but didn't allow a good seal . Had several bags fail in the freezer .

154 for 3.5 hours
I did use the inkbird sealer. I haven't had any failed seals with that yet. Didn't feel like dragging out my Maxvac 500. That may have been the problem. Or, as Robert mentioned in another thread. That maybe the hog rings punctured the bag.

I like that little inkbird . Just had that problem , noticed it wasn't latched all the way on the right .
This made me remember I bought these bags from them during a sale at Christmas time . Just pulled one out to test it . Haven't cooked with them yet , but pulled a tight seal . Be interesting to see how they clean up . Assuming they are reusable .
1646246832676.jpeg
I just asked about the time / temp , because I've had liquid separate in the casing . I use water proof , so no bag . Cook water was clean .
In my case I went to long time wise . Just wondering .

This made me remember I bought these bags from them during a sale at Christmas time . Just pulled one out to test it . Haven't cooked with them yet , but pulled a tight seal . Be interesting to see how they clean up . Assuming they are reusable .
527442-33bebd5a353487ff502de648775358e9.jpg
I've seen some use those bags with the vacuum plunger for storing salami and salumi that you will be eating on over the course of a couple of weeks. Rather than vac sealing and having to redo often. I did not know inkbird made them too. What was the cost if you don't mind me asking?

I've seen some use those bags with the vacuum plunger for storing salami and salumi that you will be eating on over the course of a couple of weeks.
That's a good idea . I store the SS type stuff that I eat from in pink paper . Regular zip lock , it goes bad fast . These bags would be a good option .

I'm not real sure of the price '

Just went and looked . Bought through Amazon . $15.00 on sale . Clicked on buy again ,, $23.00 . There's a bunch of bags in the kit . They are sold as Sous Vide storage bags . I was surprised how good and fast it pulled the vac . I left that onion vac'd on the counter to see how it holds .

That's a good idea . I store the SS type stuff that I eat from in pink paper . Regular zip lock , it goes bad fast . These bags would be a good option .

I'm not real sure of the price '

Just went and looked . Bought through Amazon . $15.00 on sale . Clicked on buy again ,, $23.00 . There's a bunch of bags in the kit . They are sold as Sous Vide storage bags . I was surprised how good and fast it pulled the vac . I left that onion vac'd on the counter to see how it holds .
I might have to order that for things I open and shut instead of cutting the bag each time.

Reactions: tallbm
I might have to order that for things I open and shut instead of cutting the bag each time.
Like I said , I forgot I bought them . It was a purchase I made to support a sponsor. So today was the first I tried them . Would definitely work for storage to open and close .

This made me remember I bought these bags from them during a sale at Christmas time

I've seen some use those bags with the vacuum plunger for storing salami and salumi that you will be eating on over the course of a couple of weeks.

Well I was vac'ing up some sausage and was using the Inkbird sealer when a light bulb went off .
I've been wondering since I bought this sealer what the vac hose fit . Realized it works with these bags .
1646672003245.jpeg

Rich, do those bags hold the seal better than the regular bags that I seal with the inkbird? LAtely one or 2 things seems to loosen inside the bag after a few days in the freezer, and I either open and put into a new bag and re vac and seal, or take the existing and put in a Ziploc Freezer bag. Also do you have a link for these bags? Thanks.

Reactions: chopsaw
Mike . I have one sealed and in the freezer , and I'm gonna put one in a SV bath today to see how they hold up . There's a little clip that comes with them that slides down the seal . They seem to work good so far .
That Inkbird sealer works good , but mine only likes the thinner mill bags . It will run the operation even if it's not locked down . I've been having failures with the vac sealer too .

Reactions: MJB05615
Morning... Here's what I do to SV my stuff...
Freezer bag, weights,
Do not totally submerge the bag...
Clip the top of the bag to the container and leave the top open.. My lid will work if I fold the legs down, to stop evaporation... I have SV'd for 48 hours without having to add water to the tank...
The bag collapses with the top NOT zipped and all the air is let out of the bag...

I could have taken this picture yesterday, of chicken tenders, that were in there for 48 hours at 134... Old age along with CRS makes some stuff impossible...
BUT... You get my best interpretation of a Hollywood remake...
It ain't easy being me...
As a side note, I usually cut roasts etc. into thick slices so I'm not stuffing a really big, thick hunk of meat in there...

DSCF0419.JPG

DSCF0420.JPG

Attachments

• DSCF0418.JPG
    DSCF0418.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 6
Morning... Here's what I do to SV my stuff...
Freezer bag, weights,
Do not totally submerge the bag...
Clip the top of the bag to the container and leave the top open.. My lid will work if I fold the legs down, to stop evaporation... I have SV'd for 48 hours without having to add water to the tank...
The bag collapses with the top NOT zipped and all the air is let out of the bag...

I could have taken this picture yesterday, of chicken tenders, that were in there for 48 hours at 134... Old age along with CRS makes some stuff impossible...
BUT... You get my best interpretation of a Hollywood remake...
It ain't easy being me...
As a side note, I usually cut roasts etc. into thick slices so I'm not stuffing a really big, thick hunk of meat in there...

View attachment 528171

View attachment 528172
Thats exactly what I do, i had a bag break so if I'm SV'ing for a long time, I just put on a second bag. Leaving the top open makes it easier to let more air out.

I like that little inkbird . Just had that problem , noticed it wasn't latched all the way on the right .
View attachment 527463
I just asked about the time / temp , because I've had liquid separate in the casing . I use water proof , so no bag . Cook water was clean .
In my case I went to long time wise . Just wondering .
I just got that kit. Will be using it soon. I'm going to seal the SS in a regular vacuum bag. Then in the silicone bag so I don't have to worry about having a mess in it.

I just got that kit. Will be using it soon. I'm going to seal the SS in a regular vacuum bag. Then in the silicone bag so I don't have to worry about having a mess in it.
Steve , it comes with a little clip like tool to seal the bag . Make sure you use that . There is a bit of a learning curve using the hand pump , but once you figure it out it gets easy .
It take a certain amount of vacuum just to open the valve . I've had some that held a great seal , and some that didn't . Not sure if it's me or the bag .
I use them more in the freezer and fridge for ground meat and stuff .

Steve , it comes with a little clip like tool to seal the bag . Make sure you use that . There is a bit of a learning curve using the hand pump , but once you figure it out it gets easy .
It take a certain amount of vacuum just to open the valve . I've had some that held a great seal , and some that didn't . Not sure if it's me or the bag .
I use them more in the freezer and fridge for ground meat and stuff .
I did a few practice seals with it. There is a bit of a learning curve. I'll use those clips. It makes it easier for sure. The pump draws a very good vacuum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky