Advice on smoking 12lb chuck roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zim2021

Original poster
Jul 2, 2021
I need advice on estimated length of cooking time and estimated smoker temperatures throughout the cook for a 12lb chuck roast on an electric smoker (the butcher claims it's a chuck roast, and the cut is likely from the chuck area, but unsure further of what it is - it's well marbleized and flexible/maliable, but a thick piece of meat). I can't find anything online with advice on how long the cook should be and how I should change the temperatures throughout. Thank you!
1625232616532.jpeg

It's a time VS temp deal, if you cook at 325/350 then 5 to 7 hours, if you cook at 225 then 10/14 hours.
I'm a hot and fast guy now so 325 would be my lowest number.
If you pull and rest at 150 internal temp, it will rise to 160 which is medium.

If your looking for pulled beef I would say an internal temp of 200-205, if your looking for sliced I would say internal temp of 185-190 but that's me. As far as temps I go 250-275, as far
as time it's hard to say some cook quicker than others, you can cut it in half to help speed it up a little or go with higher temps.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
I've found 90m/lb is a good rule for 275F so 18hrs. If that were mine I'd halve it at least maybe 1/3rd it unles you really enjoy a long smoke session. Some guys do, but I don't have time for it. This will really cut down on your time and add more bark. 8lb butts took me 15hrs typically but halved done in 8. I have brisket planned this weekend and plan to break down the whole packer into 4.

Thanks guys for all the tips! So with chucks are you planning to foil wrap at some point while bringing it up to desired IT (~205 for pulled)? Trying this out for the first time in a MES

Sorry meant to ask - anyone brined before the smoke? I've heard you can do this on beef but have only tried with poultry

You can do a dry brine (not wet) for a few hours (or overnight) before applying the rub. But then NO salt in rub. And I agree about cutting into 1/3's or so and smoking 6+/- hours at 275. Wrap (foil or paper) when the stall starts (IT=150-160) and the bark looks right. When IT reaches 190+, start checking for "probe tender." You're gonna have a lot of meat there. You can put a foil tray under meat to collect juices.

You can do a dry brine (not wet) for a few hours (or overnight) before applying the rub. But then NO salt in rub. And I agree about cutting into 1/3's or so and smoking 6+/- hours at 275. Wrap (foil or paper) when the stall starts (IT=150-160) and the bark looks right. When IT reaches 190+, start checking for "probe tender." You're gonna have a lot of meat there. You can put a foil tray under meat to collect juices.
So dry brine is Salt n' ??? Done marinades but never dry brine - suggestions?

Sprinkle well with coarse (sea/kosher) salt, pat into meat, wrap in plastic wrap, put in fridge for several hours or overnight. Then apply your salt-free rub (all you really need is just coarse/cracked pepper) before cooking.

Better than nothing but large cuts like that need injecting. There will little salt penetration at the center even if you wait like 2 weeks.

i buy whole chuck rolls all the time, they weigh from 17-21 pounds, and that end shot is nothing like them so i agree it might be clod

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky