Advice on adding smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HerrMojo

Original poster
Apr 21, 2020
I have a vertical pellet smoker and my first butt turned out just fine but I was hoping for more of a smokeyness in the meat. My smoker has a low temp setting just called "smoke" , could/should this be used in the beginning to add more smoke flavoring to the meat or should I just change the pellets over to something else (currently using the Traeger Gourmet Blend (maple, hickory, cherry. 100% Food Grade Hardwood). I have seen some people not like the Traeger brand pellets and others recommend the smoker tubes thrown in for more smokeyness.

Welcome! An older thread:

Never tried them but I do use Lumberjack, usually Hickory or Apple.

Reactions: HerrMojo
Welcome! An older thread:

Never tried them but I do use Lumberjack, usually Hickory or Apple.
I bought the Traeger when I got the grill because I knew little and needed something. I plan on going with something else when I buy another bag. There is a Rural King about 90 miles from my house ... gotta do the math on making it worth the trip ...

You can try cutting your butts in half to get more smoke, different pellets may make a little difference but the smoke only goes so far into the meat, I'm no pro but this is my opinion.

I bought the Traeger when I got the grill because I knew little and needed something. I plan on going with something else when I buy another bag. There is a Rural King about 90 miles from my house ... gotta do the math on making it worth the trip ...
You could always order from Amazon or even Walmart online and have them delivered. Just a thought.

G

Pellet tube will certainly help.
personally I use Lumberjack pellets, they are far better than the traegers I used before

Second the lumberjack pellets. Also I dont have a vertical but I have a grill style. The smoke setting will provide more smoke flavor but the temps are usually around 180-195. I've added supplemental smoke to my grill via the amazen pellet smoker and its helped greatly

Amazen tube will help you quite a bit. I have the oval and it seems to work better than the maze in my MES40. I realize it's a different smoker but similar vertical style. I'm sure someone here smarter than I am can explain why that is. Airflow and things, all I know is it works.

You could always order from Amazon or even Walmart online and have them delivered. Just a thought.

G
I have found the best place to order On Line is Home Depot Website. They have free shipping and very little tax. It takes several days though to receive. But they have many name brand choices and flavors. Cheaper then Amazon and better selection.

Amazen tube will help you quite a bit. I have the oval and it seems to work better than the maze in my MES40. I realize it's a different smoker but similar vertical style. I'm sure someone here smarter than I am can explain why that is. Airflow and things, all I know is it works.

And here I am with a 25% off coupon ...

I'm glad to hear from pretty much everyone that these are solid.

I mentioned earlier Home Depot has free shipping and many choices.
Well, that changed due to the Virus. They are now charging $25 shipping fee. Plus with everyone being at home cooking, they have many that are sold out. But still, I will not pay $25 shipping. I will go to local Ace Hardware and pay a higher fee, but saving the shipping price.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky