ADVICE NEEDED LUMP CHARCOAL

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I avoid all briquettes....just too much ash residue. Blocks off airflow, pain to cleanup, etc. Used to love Cowboy lump but the last couple years their QC has slipped. Still when it's on sale I'll buy and just visually filter what's going on my stack. Someone here reported seeing a piece of pressure-treated 2x4...I haven't had anything quite so revolting.
Just about Mexican-sourced lump is pretty cheap and I don't mind the filtering step. But if cost is no object, you can't beat the consistent quality of Royal Oak lump.
It's mid-December...it's getting harder to find a good selection. If you haven't stocked up, you might need to settle for less than 1st choices.

I avoid all briquettes....just too much ash residue. Blocks off airflow, pain to cleanup, etc. Used to love Cowboy lump but the last couple years their QC has slipped. Still when it's on sale I'll buy and just visually filter what's going on my stack. Someone here reported seeing a piece of pressure-treated 2x4...I haven't had anything quite so revolting.
Just about Mexican-sourced lump is pretty cheap and I don't mind the filtering step. But if cost is no object, you can't beat the consistent quality of Royal Oak lump.
It's mid-December...it's getting harder to find a good selection. If you haven't stocked up, you might need to settle for less than 1st choices.
Thanks Bill, since this is new territory for me I appreciate any and all advice. I better start gathering up my Winter supplies. Had no idea there'd be less available through the winter.

Do you have one of their gravity cookers?
If so briquettes are superior in one way, when the cook is done and the cooker cooled down, you are supposed to remove the unburned charcoal.
Lumps are uneven and snag on the fire grate preventing you from yanking it out to dump the unburned lumps.
Briquettes are uniform is shape and make the fire grate removal much easier.
I've used both and since I add quite a bit of hardwood to the gravity bin, the smoke flavor from the lump or briquettes is a minor concern.
In addition, you should add hardwood to the ash catch bin, you can get a lot of smoke out of that method too.
I use FOGO and KJ jumbo lump but my favorite briquettes are Kingsford Professional competition version.
They burn hotter than the regular, leave much less ash and can be re-used at least once.

Attachments

• DSC00515.JPG
    DSC00515.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: MJB05615
I too use royal oak. Mostly briquettes but use some lump on occasion. But it helps my son in law did some work in one of their plants earlier and they gave him 2, 20 lb bags of lump which he then gave to me. I'm like you, mostly used to masterbuilt but use my kettle at times, should use it more.

Ryan

After reading all of these replies, I realize I'm in the minority... but when I cook with charcoal, I'm a Kingsford flavorless guy for the following reasons:
1. I can add whatever wood/flavor I need at my own choosing
2. I have been able to consistently and reliably count the number of briquettes I need to achieve the temps and times I need. Lump is not consistent in it's shape/size and density for burn rate. Kingsford allows ultra consistency in temps.
3. Cheaper and more readily available... Great sales can be had
4. I have found that they resist humidity a little better.

To each their own.

The only thing I have that uses charcoal is my 22" Weber and I use Walmart brand Expert Grill that is made by Royal Oak $6 for 16lb. I'm happy with it.

Warren
That's a great price Warren. I'd never known it's same as Royal Oak at a lot less price. Thanks.

Do you have one of their gravity cookers?
If so briquettes are superior in one way, when the cook is done and the cooker cooled down, you are supposed to remove the unburned charcoal.
Lumps are uneven and snag on the fire grate preventing you from yanking it out to dump the unburned lumps.
Briquettes are uniform is shape and make the fire grate removal much easier.
I've used both and since I add quite a bit of hardwood to the gravity bin, the smoke flavor from the lump or briquettes is a minor concern.
In addition, you should add hardwood to the ash catch bin, you can get a lot of smoke out of that method too.
I use FOGO and KJ jumbo lump but my favorite briquettes are Kingsford Professional competition version.
They burn hotter than the regular, leave much less ash and can be re-used at least once.
I just got the new MB 40" Charcoal Smoker. Uses Briquets and or Lump.

After reading all of these replies, I realize I'm in the minority... but when I cook with charcoal, I'm a Kingsford flavorless guy for the following reasons:
1. I can add whatever wood/flavor I need at my own choosing
2. I have been able to consistently and reliably count the number of briquettes I need to achieve the temps and times I need. Lump is not consistent in it's shape/size and density for burn rate. Kingsford allows ultra consistency in temps.
3. Cheaper and more readily available... Great sales can be had
4. I have found that they resist humidity a little better.

To each their own.
That makes sense. I'm probably gonna start with either just briquets first, then just lump second cook. Then an equal mix of both. See which is better tasting and which uses more wood/briquets, etc. Gonna take a few weeks I'm sure to get everything dialed in. But this appears to be set and forget, which I like, so I can spend the rest of short attention span keeping track and the like. LOL. Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

Charcoal has been in my blood since a youth. I think my family called it barbecue, too. (Hey we're Scandinavian.)
I disagree it is flavorless. I think it gives a nice fire cooked flavor and aroma to foods.
I dislike Kingford. It has soft woods blended in for who knows why. I do weaken when it goes on dirt cheap sale.
I dislike lump. I've tried a few brands (not B&B) and all had some kiln dried lumber mix, but way too much crumbles in the bottom of the bag.
30 years ago I cooked and smoked on a mushikamado. Briquette was much easier to control the heat
Today I'm on a kettle only. Still much easier to control temps on low and slow as well as high temp grilling.
Royal Oak or Walmart for twin packs of RO or the store brand

I just got the new MB 40" Charcoal Smoker. Uses Briquets and or Lump.
You got the vertical digital? 40 inch Digital

Charcoal has been in my blood since a youth. I think my family called it barbecue, too. (Hey we're Scandinavian.)
I disagree it is flavorless. I think it gives a nice fire cooked flavor and aroma to foods.
I dislike Kingford. It has soft woods blended in for who knows why. I do weaken when it goes on dirt cheap sale.
I dislike lump. I've tried a few brands (not B&B) and all had some kiln dried lumber mix, but way too much crumbles in the bottom of the bag.
30 years ago I cooked and smoked on a mushikamado. Briquette was much easier to control the heat
Today I'm on a kettle only. Still much easier to control temps on low and slow as well as high temp grilling.
Royal Oak or Walmart for twin packs of RO or the store brand

You got the vertical digital? 40 inch Digital
Thanks for the info Fueling Around Fueling Around , the Walmart stuff seems to be the best bet to begin with. Yes I just got the 40 inch Digital today. Been looking at it since they announced it, and it's always out of stock. This past Sat or Sun I was checking Amazon at 4am, and they had 16 in stock, so I grabbed it. Hoping to get it up and running by this weekend. I'll write it up and include pics once I get it going. Looking forward to it, first new smoker in 7 years.

I usually use briquettes in my WSM, just cause they last longer. My choice is RO, if you use lump, then once again I use RO. JUST DON’T USE COWBOY LUMP!
It’s like fireworks going off in your smoker.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky