Advice! it

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Tritipmaster

Original poster
Nov 19, 2017
Hey all! First time poster here :)

So quick bit of background.

I started off with just steaks maybe some chicken here and there. Moved to playing with a bit of smoke. And while I was stationed in Hawaii and we BBQ’d all the time we only had a small (kettle) type bbq. Since coming home I’ve gotten myself a barrel type bbq and my cousin has shown me how he does his tri tip. I’d like to say I’ve gotten pretty good at it. I really enjoy it, because it’s like a science.

Well last night I tried to step it up to a brisket and have been doing a ton of research and watching videos. And M hoping to do one for thanksgiving.

Everything started off really well, did a dry rub with just brown sugar chili powder and salt. Oh and some awesome smoked paprika. Any who I got all set up for the “minion” method had my water set on the grate not directly over the coals but close. And then once my grill had settled in at 225-245 I tossed on the brisket. It had been sitting with the rub on maybe an hour.

I tossed on two chunks of hickory and one smaller piece of apple.

About 45min in I mobbed it with just Budweiser some Worcestershire sauce and basically the same thing i used in the rub.

Did this every 45min- and hour and 15 for about 4 or 5 hours and I suddenly started losing heat. I tried adding some unlit coal but it didn’t take fast enough so I used the chimney and got about 15 coals going good and added them in. At this point I’m down to 150-175 ish. And I’m just having a hell of a time getting my heat back up. Doing tri tips I never spend more then 2 1/2 hours with the grill going so I’ve never had this issue. It’s always been solid. Or At least I haven’t had trouble keeping it in the sweet spot. So I just did what I could to get the heat up and after 6 or so hours I wrapped it in butcher paper for an hour, and it wasn’t holding. (It wasn’t enough paper) so I swapped to aluminum foil. Let it ride for the last two hours 7-9 while the coals burned down then wrapped it in towels and tossed it in the oven. And opened it up about 3 hours later.

Problem was it got a tad bit over cooked, the fat was still super juicy but didn’t really just slide off like I had hoped. The meat was tender but not knife through butter.

Anyway just looking for some tips. I think part of my problem was doing it over night I just didn’t pay enough attention. I took it out and foiled it with an internal temp of about 170.

The bark also never really crusted over

All in all the smoke flavor wasn’t bad! But the rub wasnt phenomenonal.

I’m sure I’m giving the wrong info. I’ll answer questions I took notes so I knew what not to do or to do the next time. Hoping to fine tune it and nail it for family in a few days.

Brisket was 6.5 lbs.

A couple pictures

Attachments

• C6A486FF-1CBA-45D2-9566-636A685D9BEB.jpeg
    C6A486FF-1CBA-45D2-9566-636A685D9BEB.jpeg
    106.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 2DF7BE9E-149F-4A05-8A88-7B457E435D3E.jpeg
    2DF7BE9E-149F-4A05-8A88-7B457E435D3E.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 8318A5A9-8E80-4886-AD90-3222D3804441.jpeg
    8318A5A9-8E80-4886-AD90-3222D3804441.jpeg
    145.1 KB · Views: 31
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky