Advice & Critique Please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ChrisJoll

Original poster
Apr 7, 2019
Good day all,

My name is Chris. I live in Canada and have a Bradley Original 4-rack electric smoker. I’ve got 5-6 smokes under my belt - new to bbq/smoking all-together.

Yesterday, I tried smoking a 6# brisket flat, following Jeff’s Garlic & Onion recipe. As well, I tried doing 321 Ribs, as following Jeff’s recipe. I also threw in some chicken wings.

I followed the brisket recipe to the “t”, but I also injected the meat the night prior. The brisket cooked for 9.5 hours and reached an internal temperature of 198* However after letting it rest for 30 mins, and upon cutting, it was tough. It cooked at a temp around 200* From what I have read, this should have been smoked longer? Your thoughts please ...

The ribs were the same outcome. Followed the recipe to the “t” and when they were at 6 hours, pulled them out and the meat could be pulled from the bone, but it wasn’t juicy and tender. Again, I am guessing time too short here? Your thoughts ...

The wings turned out fine, except I’ve noticed after smoking for 2 hours the skin is a bit tough, any way to prevent this? Spritzing possibly?

Thank for your time and expertise in advance!

- Chris

Second opinion? Alright, you’re ugly too :emoji_wink:
Sorry ... too many old movie or old stand-up references.

I had a Bradley ... will never get skin bite right on one of those. Just can’t get hot enough.

Sounds like you have good temp sensor for meat .. are you monitoring ‘air’ temp also?

Yes, was watching thermometer on smoker itself. I pre-heated to 225* and after I put meat in it was at 200*

All built-in thermometers are notoriously inaccurate. Invest in a good temp probe. I’ve had and trust a ThermoPro TP-08 and they are a sponsor here I believe.

Ahhh, ok didn’t know that. Will invest in one for sure!

With regards to wrapping in foil, I presume this is towards the brisket. At what point do you wrap? The outside of the brisket was perfect, it was the inside, primarily the thicker side.

Actually 3-2-1 ribs means cook them on the rack for 3 hours then put them in foil when you put them in the foil add a little liquid maybe apple juice or dr pepper, or personally I apply some honey and squeeze butter after applying the liquid seal the foil tight and back into the smoker for 2 hours then carefully unwrap them and back onto the grate. I say carefully because they are going to want to fall apart. After placing them back in the smoker smoke 1 more hour. If you want to add bbq sauce to them do it the last 1/2 hour because most bbq sauces have a lot of sugar in them and burn easy putting it on late will help avoid it burning.

I inject the brisket the night before. Smoke it to about 160 then either put it in a disposable aluminum pan with some of whatever you used as an injection or wrap in foil with the injection liquid. Instead of cooking to a certain temperature when it reaches 195 start checking it every 5-10 degrees with a toothpick when the toothpick slides in easy the brisket is done. I have had briskets finish at 198 and I've had them finish at 213 each one is different.

If smoking at anything less than 275-300 which in my opinion is to high for anything except poultry the skin is going to come out like rubber. If you want crispy skin either have the oven preheated on broil or have the grill fired up and hot or have some cooking oil heated to 350 then put poultry into whatever device you choose for a couple minutes to crisp the skin.

Never trust the thermometer that comes on a smoker they can be and often are way off I've heard of them being 75 degrees off before. When you buy a thermometer test it by putting a pot of water on the stove and bringing it to a boil then carefully like with a gloved hand place the probe into the water and see what it reads then you know if it's right or how far off it is. If your smoker thermometer will come off easily you can check it the same way.

Good luck and if you have other questions just ask

Actually 3-2-1 ribs means cook them on the rack for 3 hours then put them in foil when you put them in the foil add a little liquid maybe apple juice or dr pepper, or personally I apply some honey and squeeze butter after applying the liquid seal the foil tight and back into the smoker for 2 hours then carefully unwrap them and back onto the grate. I say carefully because they are going to want to fall apart. After placing them back in the smoker smoke 1 more hour. If you want to add bbq sauce to them do it the last 1/2 hour because most bbq sauces have a lot of sugar in them and burn easy putting it on late will help avoid it burning.

I inject the brisket the night before. Smoke it to about 160 then either put it in a disposable aluminum pan with some of whatever you used as an injection or wrap in foil with the injection liquid. Instead of cooking to a certain temperature when it reaches 195 start checking it every 5-10 degrees with a toothpick when the toothpick slides in easy the brisket is done. I have had briskets finish at 198 and I've had them finish at 213 each one is different.

If smoking at anything less than 275-300 which in my opinion is to high for anything except poultry the skin is going to come out like rubber. If you want crispy skin either have the oven preheated on broil or have the grill fired up and hot or have some cooking oil heated to 350 then put poultry into whatever device you choose for a couple minutes to crisp the skin.

Never trust the thermometer that comes on a smoker they can be and often are way off I've heard of them being 75 degrees off before. When you buy a thermometer test it by putting a pot of water on the stove and bringing it to a boil then carefully like with a gloved hand place the probe into the water and see what it reads then you know if it's right or how far off it is. If your smoker thermometer will come off easily you can check it the same way.

Good luck and if you have other questions just ask

I followed that method for the ribs and they definitely weren’t falling apart... they were wrapped, I wouldn’t say tightly though.

I think so far, if I’m understanding this right, the ribs and brisket were underdone, either due to timing, but likely too low of temperature...??

Most likely the temperature gauge is off and it was all under cooked

Adding the liquid when foiling and sealing tight allows it to start braising faster. 3-2-1 ribs done at 225 degree smoker temp will be fall off the bone. I suggest following the recipe a couple times then adjust times to your liking

Got it! Thank you.
I’m going to test out the ambient temperature with another thermometer and compare. I’ll report back with the results.

Would, or does, the amount of meat within the smoker change cooking times?

Also, would the placement of the meat in the rack (either low near heat source or higher up) presumably be different? Is there methods to reducing this difference when cooking multiple items?

The amount of meat in the smoker doesn't really affect cook time. It will take a little longer when you put in more cold mass at the beginning of the smoke but not enough to really notice.

Many people will place a thermometer probe on the grate they have the meat on or the middle of multiple racks of meat. They make clips that attach to the grate and hold the probe keeping it from being right on the grate and giving a false reading. Many of us have used a potato to hold the probe by just pushing the probe through the potato so the last inch or two is sticking out taking a correct reading.
Many thermometers come with multiple probes for monitoring the smoker temp and multiple meat temps

Reactions: ChrisJoll
Briskets: personally I would go with a higher smoker temp but at least 225º (verified) although I usually run 260-275º. Lots of ways (temps) to get them done. Flats are more difficult vs whole packers. Wrapping, if done, usually around the IT stall temp which can occur anywhere from 150-165ºish. Doneness should be done by feel. A probe going into multiple places easy like a knife through butter. My guess yours was not done yet.
Ribs: which, Babybacks or St. Louis cut. Again I would suggest higher temps i.e. 225-245º. Lots of ways to do ribs and they all make good eats. Personally, I stopped wrapping them years ago. If interested, recipe is in the signature below.

Just my personal opinion, but I feel that 200 degrees is a bit too low. I smoke everything low and slow, but my standard temp for almost everything is 240ish. That includes chicken and turkey since nobody but my old hound Roxy eats the skin anyway--and black labs are NOT picky eaters. LOL.
For the rest, all the replys so far have you covered very well.
I generally place my cook chamber probe clip on the rack just below the meat (not a great distance in a MES 30) and that works just fine.
It just takes a bit of time to figure out exactly what works for you in your smoker, but usually the failures (and trust me, we all have them) are still good eating.
Gary

Thanks all, really do appreciate the advice!!

When wrapping the brisket at the stall temp, let’s say I’d wrap in aluminum foil, would you put any liquid in with it?

1st Welcome to the forum as you have seen you will get some great replies from members willing to help. Practice and patience is the learning curve here. There are many ways of doing a lot of what different members do it comes down to personal preference. I'm a no wrap guy myself others only wrap so you have to learn what works best for you and I do nothing under 225.

Warren

Thanks for the welcome Warren!
Absolutely I get it’s a learning curve, I’m just trying to get as many of my ducks in a row with a solid game plan prior to my next attempt.

Reactions: Marian Starks
1. Know without a doubt what your true grate temp is.
2. Pick a temp and maintain it throughout the smoke. Min of 225º or higher.
3. Consider using a reporting probe and place it properly in the meat. ex)brisket in the thickest part of the flat placed in the middle.
4. Keep the lid closed, if you're lookin', ya aint cookin'.
5. Final IT and/or time are guidelines only. They aren't always the best indicator(s) for doneness.
6. Keep to simple procedures and take very good notes for each and every smoke. Learn from them, and re-read them before the next attempt.

Hi and welcome to the site. Here's my take.

Brisket flat: These can be hard to get right. Best advise I can give - once your internal temp is around 195* start poking it allover with a skewer of some type. The skewer should go into the meat w/o much resistance. Dry brisket = underdone, crumbly brisket = overdone, juicy, flexible with slices that pull apart with just a slight tug = perfect.

Pork ribs: Most folks like their ribs to have a little bite to them(not FOTB). The consensus for the internal temp is about 190 to 195*. I like to check my ribs for doneness using the bend-test. Pick them up with your tongs a little over a third of the way down the rib. If the rib bends freely to a 45* angle or better then the rib is finished. If your going for FOTB then be careful using the bend test.

Wings: I like them with a light smoke profile and crispy skin. So use a heat greater then 325* or crisp them up after the smoke on a grill or broiler. Poultry takes on smoke rather quickly so be careful on the amount and type of wood used until you find your mark.

You'll find out what works for you and your equipment. It just takes a few tries and asking questions.

Chris

Wow, thank you everyone for all the advice!!
I’m going to test out the thermometer one night this week and give another brisket a shot on Saturday. I’ll be sure to report back.
One last question, for now, with this smoker I have a dial. What happens if I crank it up to full tilt and it doesn’t get the temperature up to what we need?

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky