Adultered Foods in the 18th Century....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'm sure we all have wide variety of opinions on the correct "size of government". But I hope we can agree that some level of consumer safety has a place in any civilized society. Otherwise history shows that, left to themselves, people will do just about anything to make a fast buck. And it's just not realistic to expect the individual consumer, even DIYer's like most of us, to maintain their own testing capabilities adequate to the task.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Cool fact,
the Roman's lead piping in general wasn't a problem due to the fact that the water was always flowing, it was a problem when water didn't flow and leaching could occur into the standing water.
Maybe just an (ancient) urban legend, but I believe the Romans developed a taste for leaded water. So they'd store their drinking water in lead vessels because they preferred the taste it developed that way. (Heck, that old leaded gas smelled better than today's unleaded too!)

The only thing worse than accidentally doing something bad to your health is intentionally doing it. :emoji_wink:

Cool fact,
the Roman's lead piping in general wasn't a problem due to the fact that the water was always flowing, it was a problem when water didn't flow and leaching could occur into the standing water.
And that is why it is best to run your household tap water for a bit before taking a glass from it.

There is still a lot of lead pipe in use.
Cool fact,
And that is why it is best to run your household tap water for a bit before taking a glass from it.
Lead is used in casting brass fittings plus solder was 50% lead
Maybe just an (ancient) urban legend, but I believe the Romans developed a taste for leaded water. So they'd store their drinking water in lead vessels because they preferred the taste it developed that way.
The Romans used lead acetate to sweeten wine.

Reactions: bill1
There is still a lot of lead pipe in use.

Lead is used in casting brass fittings plus solder was 50% lead
The Romans used lead acetate to sweeten wine.
Yes it used to be 50/50 solder and now most all is 95/5. there are some using 100 %lead free, I should move to that but 95/5 is what I use. Valve bodies are being sold "lead free" for those that are using pex and some of the other alternatives to copper.

I suppose you could use the older version for a lead free line. :emoji_kissing: Say maybe galvanized iron pipe?🤣

Yes it used to be 50/50 solder and now most all is 95/5. there are some using 100 %lead free, I should move to that but 95/5 is what I use. Valve bodies are being sold "lead free" for those that are using pex and some of the other alternatives to copper.

I suppose you could use the older version for a lead free line. :emoji_kissing: Say maybe galvanized iron pipe?🤣
We had all galvanized until last summer when we had it all ripped out and replaced with all pex. I'll be broke for years after that

I have no idea of the build of your home TNJAKE but that is still quite an undertaking! Trust me I do have an idea being in the business. I'm the type that will go to the ends to do a project with the least involvement to repair the cover up from it. For instance, I replumbed a master bath on the 2nd floor and ran new water lines up there from the basement and hid all the plumbing in the walls with out and other repairs. Oh this was in a 101 year old house, no joke.

I have no idea of the build of your home TNJAKE but that is still quite an undertaking! Trust me I do have an idea being in the business. I'm the type that will go to the ends to do a project with the least involvement to repair the cover up from it. For instance, I replumbed a master bath on the 2nd floor and ran new water lines up there from the basement and hid all the plumbing in the walls with out and other repairs. Oh this was in a 101 year old house, no joke.
Was a small house in 63 when it was built. Then added on to twice. Now it's a 2800sq ft split level ranch style house with a finished basement. We also had the drains done. Were all cast iron. Everything in the house was failing. Was a real nightmare. Glad to have it behind me lol

"Old plumbers don't die, we just smell like it?"
I moved on in my 20's. I don't have a problem with most pro installs even with 50/50 solder. They add just enough solder to wet the joint without flooding the fitting

I expect Pex itself to be the next money sucker (lawyer) ad for "you may be entitled".
Lawyers already on many rounds of the pex fittings class action lawsuits.

I didn't finish my earlier post. Lead acetate is one of the most toxic lead compounds besides having a very sweet taste. Any grey haired users out there of Grecian Formula? It was lead acetate based until 2019

Was a small house in 63 when it was built. Then added on to twice. Now it's a 2800sq ft split level ranch style house with a finished basement. We also had the drains done. Were all cast iron. Everything in the house was failing. Was a real nightmare. Glad to have it behind me lol
Almost need a second mortgage to cover that expense.
Did you go all the way to the septic or city sanitary?

Almost need a second mortgage to cover that expense.
Did you go all the way to the septic or city sanitary?
We are on septic. We took the drain to septic. We actually have 2 septic tanks so that made it even more fun lol. As far as the water we only took it to where it came into house. It's 1000+ feet to my meter so that was out of the question for replacing

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky