Adding Probes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Allan28

Original poster
Dec 31, 2019
I have a MES with one probe, and thought of buying a hand held digital also for checking meat when done, but saw a portable dual probe and wondered if you could add it to the smoker?
It's a Smartro dual probe with magnetic back , they claim the unit withstands 482 degrees and the probes 575 degrees.

Could you stick a unit like this on the side of the smoker and route the two probes down the vent? Where now I'd have 3 probes to regulate internal temp of the smoker? and also using as meat probes when needed?Thanks

Reactions: kruizer
You most certainly can! The meat probe that is built into the MES is notorious for being off. I would suggest looking into a 2 or 4 probe unit and also getting a handheld. Inkbird has some great units along with thermopro and others. Check on amazon they are usually running deals this time of year and both can be had without breaking the bank. There are lots of reviews in the meat thermometer section.

Reactions: smokerjim
Yup. I generally have at least 4 probes going when I gook.
1 for the PID heat control
1 for air in the smoker
1 in the food
1 in the mailbox
And, as already said. InkBird has great units at a decent price.

I have a MES with one probe, and thought of buying a hand held digital also for checking meat when done, but saw a portable dual probe and wondered if you could add it to the smoker?
It's a Smartro dual probe with magnetic back , they claim the unit withstands 482 degrees and the probes 575 degrees.

Could you stick a unit like this on the side of the smoker and route the two probes down the vent? Where now I'd have 3 probes to regulate internal temp of the smoker? and also using as meat probes when needed?Thanks

I got a thermpro two probe and it kicks ass

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky