Adding a binder to Kielbasa ??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
I have a trial package of polish kielbasa from Eldons and it calls for either NFDM or another product they sell called flavor plus. They are both used for a meat binder. The seasoning only does 5 pounds . I have never used a binder in my bologna or SS and wanted to know if I should purchase one of these to make the kielbasa or not Or is there something else that I might want to use in the future and maybe purchase a larger quantity of ?

Binders are not necessary provided you get good protein extraction in the mixing phase. I did add potato starch at 4% in my last run of kielbasa to see if it makes a difference or not, but the jury is still out. Try it both with and without a binder and see which is best.

emulsion type sausages benefit the most from the use of a binder. Corn starch, potato starch, High heat Milk powder, phosphates....carrot fiber....soy powder....pick one, they all work.

Hell, egg whites work in a pinch....1 egg white per kilo meat or the sausage will get spongy texture.

Okay I have corn starch readily available but how much should I use for 5 pounds of meat?
emulsion type sausages benefit the most from the use of a binder. Corn starch, potato starch, High heat Milk powder, phosphates....carrot fiber....soy powder....pick one, they all work.

Hell, egg whites work in a pinch....1 egg white per kilo meat or the sausage will get spongy texture.

Okay I have corn starch readily available but how much should I use for 5 pounds of meat?
I have never done an emulsified sausage but use thickeners in varied cooking.
The volume of corn is way more than potato so make sure to to use weight measurement. I prefer the tongue feel of potato versus corn. I would keep corn on the lower side

Cut shot of finished kielbasa with potato starch as a binder. Doesn't look much different from sausages I don't add a binder to.

1667100557480.png

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky