accurate way to check internal sausage temp?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
maybe I missed it or stupid question, but if you put in boiling water and does not read 212 how do you calibrate it?? Thanks cause mine are off also.

mine are CNR or something like that I dont think I have a cal. button on mine
Some you can calibrate, most you can't. What they are saying is if your therm reads 205 in boiling water. Then you would want to add 7 degrees to the temp your smoking at. So if you want to check your smoker temp & you are looking for 225, then you would want your therm to read 232.

you da MAN Al Thanks alot, appriciate the advice will check them tonight I hope all 3 ar not off or I will have to remember all 3 diff, better do this before I have a after work beer LOL - Steve

thanks for all the input guys,nepas,Al,and all.. I just seem to fight the last 2-3 hours in my smokehouse trying to determine when to pull the sausage.i get different readings from different digital thermo's! i tried 5 differents ones.even the old school dial and they all gave me different numbers.Nepas what's the squeeze test?sounds interesting? basically in the end what i'm trying to determine is when do you guys pull your sausage from the smokehouse and are confident it's fully cooked or done? i usually pull around 150-152'F then ice bath but now these thermometers have me really questioning the meat it's frusterating : (

Hey Nepas,elaborate more on this so called squeeze test?you have peaked my interest.

I use the squeeze method   ...............Be nice I dont probe because of false reading and always check from the top down.

A Taylor #9306 and a ThermaPen RT600C-N

6089356e_DSC00791.jpg

For driedstick in Idaho.  That is why we ask for locations to give us an idea about climate and altitude.

In your case, unfortunately, I am too ignorant of geography to know your altitude.  Here is a guide, tho:

http://whatscookingamerica.net/boilpoint.htm

It is not always that we can recalibrate a thermometer, but rather that we can make mental adjustments or allowances?

I never trust one therm.  I always double check with two.

Then again, there are times to go with knowledge and experience, but that is very difficult and even dangerous to try to teach to other people who might be reading the forum, so I won't go there.

Good luck and good smoking.

you da MAN Al Thanks alot, appriciate the advice will check them tonight I hope all 3 ar not off or I will have to remember all 3 diff, better do this before I have a after work beer LOL - Steve
If they are off, you can label them with a piece of tape, or if there is room, write on the unit itself with a sharpie so you will know the variance (+2, -2, +3, -3 etc.) That way, you can drink all the beer you want!

If they are off, you can label them with a piece of tape, or if there is room, write on the unit itself with a sharpie so you will know the variance (+2, -2, +3, -3 etc.) " That way, you can drink all the beer you want!"
Bill, I like your way of thinking!
laugh1.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky