About Smoked Beef Short Ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

andrew8989

Original poster
Jun 13, 2018
hi guys its so weird!, im already smoked with offset smoker ( own Build )
there is not even tender! i try it already 4 short ribs!, and all i throw it.

cook at 9.30 AM (before i season already overnight with salt and paper and yellow mustard ) until 14.30 PM after that i foil it for another 4 hours! total cook at offset smoker plus wrap it foil for 8-9 hours.. but its not tender and juicy.. anyone know my mistake??? please let me know.. im so frustrated lol.

i spritz it every 30 minute with apple juice & apple cider vinegar 50 50 and cook at 230-250F ( using Australian beef )

even my probe at meat 200F its not tender.

because my meat not good? or any cause?

thx guys , very need ur reply.. ( sorry my bad English )

Last edited:
If I am reading correctly, you cooked them for a total of about 9 hours. Very possibly way over cooked and dried out like jerky . were they individual ribs, or several connected together?
Also check your thermometer(s) with the ice water and/or boiling water test to check for accurate readings. They should have been tender somewhere around the 6 hour mark

radio radio

yes, connected together so jerky.. dry and chewy. so its better cook naked for 3 hours and the rest 3 hours wrap it out with foil?

is it possible i braised the brisket for 4 hours, and the rest i smoked?

thx for ur reply sir!

Last edited:
What temp was your smoker running at, and when you foiled did you add any type of liquid to the foil pack? One other question how beefy were your ribs?

Chris

did you check the temp at all? I've never heard of any ribs being cooked that long.
i was thinking im not us prime beef / USDA beef, because i already trz 3 times but still same thing chris, my smoker running 230-250F, i didn't add any liquid, just spray a little bit.

TQ for reply Chris

The only thing I can suggest is using the 3,2,1 method instead of what you are doing. I think you are cooking them wayyy too long.

3 hrs on the smoker, 2 hrs wrapped in foil, then 1 hr unwrapped back on smoker and then take them off. Try that and see if it turns out better. 9hrs is TOO long for ribs.

First of all I never wrap beef ribs. You can if you want to get through a stall but I just let them go. Theses do not cook at all like pork ribs (3-2-1 method) but should be treated more like cooking brisket. Here are some I did a couple of months ago. I salt brined over night, seasoned and let them go at 250*F until probe tender. Probe tender started at about 200*F IT and I ended up pulling them at 207*F IT. Temperature is somewhat irrelevant at that point, you want to catch them when they probe like butter.

After that, and maybe as important, you need to wrap them up in foil, place them in a cooler and cover them with towels and let them rest 1-2 hours (the longer the better). This allows the proteins to relax and the meat to cool down gradually. I cook a lot of these and find that the method just described produces great results. Good luck !!

IMG_0806.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky