A variety of cheeses in MES 40 + AMNPS my first cold smoke ever

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

buggerritt

Fire Starter
Original poster
Feb 21, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
I think this did a phenomenal job. I filled the AMNPS almost halfway with pitmasters choice. I had thin blue smoke for 4 hours. Perfect timing! The temp started out at 45 and ended up at 61 degrees. At times, I swapped the AMNPS from the cabinet to the mailbox mod. The mailbox mod worked but the exhaust draw wasn't that great because of the cool temperature. Sometimes, it was backdraft. That may be because of wind too. I think a small pc fan might work in the future for cheese smoking.

I am digging the frogmats. They leave a nice stamp on the cheese and they're non-stick.

Perfect smoke from the AMNPS. I'm so glad I listened to others and got it.

Waiting a week to eat any of this is going to be a challenge. It all smells incredible.

Say cheeeeese..... 
biggrin.gif
...  Looks Great!!! 

Just don't eat too much of it at once when they're ready, or  
icon_redface.gif
51.gif
icon_redface.gif
yahoo.gif

Bugger, Those look great! How many different cheeses did you smoke?  Looks like the AMNPS worked perfect. I just bought one but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
icon_eek.gif
Enjoy!

buggerrit, Good job keeping your temps in check.  The harder cheeses will mellow at a faster rate at room temperature.  Sure you will enjoy.                                                                                                    

Say cheeeeese..... 
biggrin.gif
...  Looks Great!!! 

Just don't eat too much of it at once when they're ready, or  
icon_redface.gif
51.gif
icon_redface.gif
yahoo.gif
LOL
Bugger, Those look great! How many different cheeses did you smoke?  Looks like the AMNPS worked perfect. I just bought one but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
icon_eek.gif
Enjoy!

I smoked 11 different kinds. They're all labeled with my chicken scratch. :)
buggerrit, Good job keeping your temps in check.  The harder cheeses will mellow at a faster rate at room temperature.  Sure you will enjoy.                                                                                                    
Thank you. Should let them sit at room temp for a week? This is my first time doing it.

Last edited:
You should really let them sit in the fridge for a month before eating. The longer you wait the better they will be. One week isn't long enough for them to mellow, you may have a bitter taste still.

Reactions: buggerritt
Are u just using cold smoke or are u using any heat?
No heat at all. I actually had the unit turned off. I may turn it on to 80 the next time just to create a draft. It should also soften the cheese a bit that might cause it to absorb more smoke.
AWESOME!!

TJ
Yeah. Thanks to your AMNPS. :) I'm almost ready to post my cold fish smoke with the same setup.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky