A quick hello before I go sample my first smoked fish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mikeemcg

Original poster
Nov 24, 2013
Kentucky
I've been eyeing a smoker at the Costco for the past two seasons, and I finally took it home this weekend. Read reviews, pros/cons, and decided that for me an electric smoker was adequate: fit my space well, reasonable price, ease of use, etc.

I do have several thermometers (oven, instant read, and remote monitoring-type). Was surprised to find that the meat probe that came with the unit seems pretty accurate, but less surprised to find that the temperature setting is way off. Oh...it is a Landmann 40" unit. I believe this is the "GOSM" that I've seen all over the forum, just with a different parent company?

I've not been much of a meat eater for about 20 years, at times being a real vegetarian. Never a clear reason. As easy as it has become to get good quality, well-raised meat, I've started eating more of it. Since my wife and I enjoy cooking, and I in particular obsess about food, I'm looking forward to exploring what I can do with the smoker.

Also have a Weber kettle, and have for a few years. For the past several years, we've done our Thanksgiving turkey on it, and have loved it. Figure this year I'll do it in the smoker following (roughly) the "Ultimate Turkey" recipe from amazingribs.com. For the Weber, I also have a rotisserie ring and the charcoal holders that allow you to do the indirect/banked coals thing easily.

Live in Louisville, KY.

About to go sample the steelhead trout I took out of the smoker about 30 minutes ago. First item from it. About as exciting as it gets on a Sunday afternoon for me!

Glad you joined the group. The search bar at the top of any page is your best friend.
About anything you wanna know about smoking/grilling/curing/brining/cutting or slicing
and the list goes on has probably been posted. Remember to post a QVIEW of your smokes.
We are all smoke junkies here and we have to get our fix. If you have questions Post it
and you will probably get 10 replies with 11 different answers. That is because their
are so many different ways to make great Q We all have our own taste.

Happy smoken.

David

Welcome to the forums, Mike!  Glad you've joined our group.  You'll find there are lots of friendly and knowledgeable folks here who genuinely enjoy helping one another.  Looking forward to your input, and just ask when you need anything...someone here will surely have the answer.

Red

Welcome to the forum!  You'll find more information here than you can read! ….And plenty of friendly folks with good advice.

I love smoked turkeys. I do them often. Be sure to post your cook!  Ive done some pretty good turkeys but never considered them to be "ultimate" !  

Brian

[h1]
texas.gif
Hello and welcome from East Texas. This is a great site, lots of information and great people that are willing to throw in their two cents worth on about anything  ........
[/h1][h1]  [/h1][h1]Gary[/h1]

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky