A Question about being asked to cook for someone else.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

franco61365

Smoke Blower
Original poster
OK I took some of my Sunday "Leftovers" to work yesterday and one of the guys I work with asked me what it would take for me to smoke him a brisket, now here is my question, If I just fire old smoky up to do his brisket, he is offering to supply coal and wood, should I ask for a small token, like a brisket or butt for my time and trouble?. or is that uncool?.

I do not have another smoke planned yet, but if I do this for the guy, I am sure I will put some things on for myself.

Well let me know how you all deal with this kind of thing.

here are photos of my briskets I did Sunday 7/15/07, so this is what my friend has to look forward too!
e83faad7_vbattach13494.jpg

11216b0a_vbattach13493.jpg

Given the time and additional expense of smoking a brisket, I don't think it would be out of line to ask for something. Having things stay cool is dependent on how you ask the question. Like; sure, I'd love to smoke a brisket for you, but it's gonna cost ya a brisket for me, and smile when say it.

Man thats a tough one, it happens to me too and it used to happen all the time when I was brewing. The beer thing was easy I only asked for the cost of material and a donation to the kitty, left it up to the person to figure out how much to donate to the cause. Really depends on how good a fried this person is to you. If it's your boss then I recommend you do it for free! Otherwise I just tell him if he supplies you with two briskets you'll smoke his for free "the next time you plan on doing a smoke". Set some limits of folks will walk all over you. Make sure he knows your doing this on your time schedule not his. That's just MHO. Go with what feels right for you.

Franco, we all love to Smoke, and most would be happy to do it for free/fun if we could afford to.
icon_smile.gif
I was in the same situation a few years ago and asked the folks what they paid for deli meats at the market. Some said oh!
eek.gif
, and dropped the subject and some said "OK"
PDT_Armataz_01_28.gif
and got out their wallet.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
What are you comfortable with?
cool.gif
The 13# Packer I smoked last weekend went for $6.00 a #(raw weight) and was the third one I have done for this co-worker this year.
icon_mrgreen.gif

If all else fails you can always explain or write down the "how" part. His preference of seasoning could be up to him/her. Whats that saying? Teach a man to fish.......Or just point them in the direction of this site. Alot of good info here.

franco, you're gonna get about as many opinions as answers on this subject. It's hard to charge a true friend for your labor (I know I wouldn't). Are you speaking of a friend or just someone who is friendly. If it is a friend then let them see what it takes for a real brisket to cook. Tell em they get to help out. Maybe even make it an all nighter.

If they are just friendly you may want to be by yourself. Most people truly don't understand how long it takes to make a true smoked brisket so let them know "If I have another 12 + hours I'll let ya know". Basically it depends on whether you WANT to take the time and if you have room to throw in your own goodies.

Basically it's your time and labor. You said they offered the coal to do the smoke and I assume they will be supplying the meat too. Decisions, Decisions... Good Luck.

Keep Smokin

i take some to work all the time. one time some of the guys on my shift pitched in $15 for me to smoke them a brisket. i was doing one for myself anyway, so i did theirs too. i used jeff's rub recipe on them. i made a batch of his sauce, and took some in an old ketchup bottle. they all thought that was the sh!t. they are talking about donating for another one now. they have told everyone up there that i know my briskets.

That ought to feed 250-300 then? Sounds like a busy day just serving.

EAT MORE COW MEAT!

What I always tell folks I'll call them the next time I'm going to fire up the smoker, and that if they'll come over and help out, I'll show them how to do it.

Very few takers, the ones that do are genuinely interested.

It is a Southern Yankee BBQ product built in Anderson, IN. (see @ sybbq.com). I am getting their smallest model, 15' trailer with an 8' X 8' cabin called the "Shed".
icon_smile.gif
Trying for a one man operation to get going in advance of my retirement in two years.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
Got the 6' X 4 shelf rotary cooker.
biggrin.gif
Leave Pahrump Fri. AM to Albuque, KC, St. Lou, Indy and Anderson by Sunday.
PDT_Armataz_01_41.gif
Hoping to sample "other Q" along the way.
icon_mrgreen.gif
Getting just a little excited!
PDT_Armataz_01_14.gif
cool.gif

I do briskets or pulled pork for work about once a month - for free. If someone wants one of their own they have to bring it to work on Friday rubed and wrapped in plastic wrap and in a big ziplock bag and I'll bring it back on Monday if I happen to be smoking that weekend.

I don't charge but they have to pick which a recipe for a rub from my website and they get to mix the spices and rub the meat. Why? So they get what they made and can't complain if they don't like it or it's not quite what they expected. It also keeps people from always asking because now they have to put some effort into it too and you know what? Very few will!
icon_razz.gif

I don't charge but they have to pick which a recipe for a rub from my website and they get to mix the spices and rub the meat. Why? So they get what they made and can't complain if they don't like it or it's not quite what they expected. It also keeps people from always asking because now they have to put some effort into it too and you know what? Very few will!
icon_razz.gif

Thats the best answer yet Debi!

Debi
That is the best solution I have heard so far without ticking anyone off. I get asked often and have had a problem solving it. I just told my wife your suggestion and it is what we will be doing from now on. I am positive it will cut down on the asking and I am sure I will rarely have to actually smoke anything for others. People like to talk big, but when it comes to actually doing it they do not follow through.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky