A newbie question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Burntmyend

Original poster
May 3, 2022
Hi everyone,

Joining from the UK, and I come here with something which is probably a very basic/newbie question.

Generally I'm quite a competent cook. However, this doesn't apply to BBQ/grilling/smoking or anything done outdoors.

However, this year I'm turning my attention to all that. I'm aiming to cook some burnt ends tomorrow. However, I do not yet own a smoker. Just a basic charcoal grill/bbq. My question is this: am I trying to do something which will just end up giving me bad results? Can you even make some form of burnt ends in just a BBQ?

Note: next month I'm going to be buying a smoker. For now, I have friends coming tomorrow and I need to produce something.

Any help/pointers massively appreciated.

Thanks!

If you have fire and meat you can smoke. I think your best approach on a grill may be to set up an indirect heat zone. Maybe coals on one half and none on the other. Small chunk of wood from time to time for smoke. Others will chime in with much more detailed info, plenty of folks “smoke” on Weber kettles. It’s all about temp control.

If you have fire and meat you can smoke. I think your best approach on a grill may be to set up an indirect heat zone. Maybe coals on one half and none on the other. Small chunk of wood from time to time for smoke. Others will chime in with much more detailed info, plenty of folks “smoke” on Weber kettles. It’s all about temp control.
Ah, thank you for this! Appreciate it. Have some woodchips arriving tomorrow (have never used them before so will need to read up on how to)

I'll need to get hold of a thermometer of some description quickly, as the grill doesn't have one.

Great! As long as version one tastes half OK, I'll be happy.

That said I feel like I'm about to step into an expensive world 😂
Yeah a little bit, we will always help you spend your money and in the end this is the best support group in the bbq world. So no worries just good food. Welcome aboard.

Reactions: Burntmyend
I feel like I'm about to step into an expensive world

No worries.
You have stumbled upon the greatest group of enablers who will gladly help you to up your smoking game while helping you spend money.

By the way, what brand of charcoal grill do you currently own?

Reactions: Burntmyend
Hi, and welcome to the forum. First I'd say the posts above will get you going in the right direction. Since I'm not sure what type of grill your using. Indirect heat is the way to go. However, don't get carried away with the amount of lit coals your using. You want your smoking temp to be around 250*(121 celcius). Use the search function and look up the snake method. chopsaw chopsaw uses it with great results in his kettles. The more information you can provide us with the better the advice will be. Pictures of the grill you'll be using will also help. BTW what type of burnt ends are you planning on making?

Chris

Note: The search function is the magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner.

Reactions: jcam222
One more note, I'm not totally sure what wood chips are in the UK, but most folks here prefer to use wood chunks. Chips are to small and burn up really quickly.

Chris

One more note, I'm not totally sure what wood chips are in the UK, but most folks here prefer to use wood chunks. Chips are to small and burn up really quickly.

Chris
Hi, and welcome to the forum. First I'd say the posts above will get you going in the right direction. Since I'm not sure what type of grill your using. Indirect heat is the way to go. However, don't get carried away with the amount of lit coals your using. You want your smoking temp to be around 250*(121 celcius). Use the search function and look up the snake method. chopsaw chopsaw uses it with great results in his kettles. The more information you can provide us with the better the advice will be. Pictures of the grill you'll be using will also help. BTW what type of burnt ends are you planning on making?

Chris

Note: The search function is the magnifying glass in the upper right hand corner.
Hi Chris. They'll arrive today so will share the size. They look sizable!

As for the bbq, probably best if I don't share the picture. I might get booted for the way I left it outside in the UK rain for half the year. Honestly, I think it was some basic unbranded thing. But it does have a cover, airholes (you can open an close) and a couple of shelves. However the lower shelf is mere inches above where the coals would be.

Pork belly is what I'm using!

I'll check out the snake method. Thanks so much for all your help. Might send photos of what I make.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky