A-Maze-N vs ProQ Cold Smoke Generators

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ya know when Todd was trying to market his A MAZE N SMOKER he sent out several units to have us test and send him feedback. I to will volunteer to test one of your units if youd like to get a comparison. I have been using the AMS since it came out and would be happy to compare for you 

Last edited:
A-MAZE-N-FACTS
  • "MADE IN USA"
  • "Patent Pending" In the USA
  • Will Not Rust - 100% U.S. Stainless Steel
  • Fabricated Locally from #304 Stainless Steel  Supplied by U.S. Steel Companies
  • Ships With 1 Full Pound of Hickory From the USA - Enough for (4) Smokes in the 6x6
  • Can Be Used for Both Cold & Hot Smoking
  • Does Not Require Any Electricity - Can Use a Lighter, Micro Torch or Propane Torch
  • Light Both Ends for More Smoke and Light the Center for Even More Smoke!!
  • 6"x6" Will "Conservatively" Smoke for 6-8+ hours and the 6"x8" for 8-10+
  • (2) Sizes Currently Available 6"x6"x1.125" & 6"x8"x1.375"
  • Custom Sizes Available Upon Request!!!
  • 8"x8"x1.5" for Larger Smokers & More Smoke Available Soon
  • Very Sweet Smelling Thin Blue Smoke
  • No Sticky Creosote
  • Easy To Clean
  • 15 Varieties of 100% Natural Sawdust Available From U.S. Suppliers as-low-as $2.19/lb.
  • Over a Ton of Sawdust On-Hand
  • A-MAZE-N Customer Service!!!
  • Dealer Inquiries Welcome!!!
  • U.S. Dollars Stay In the USA!!! - Order, Fab & Ship with 100% U.S. Companies!!!
Thanks for all the support!!!!

Todd Johnson
Thanks Todd,

I know you try to avoid even mentioning your product on this forum, and 99% of your posts are about smoking great food, and helping others. That is what this forum was designed to do, I believe. The support you get for the A-MAZE-N-SMOKER from all of the happy owners of the best cold smoker made (IMHO) is proof of it's quality. I have never seen any product that has service even close to the service you give with your A-MAZE-N-SMOKER. Just keep doing what you do.

BTW: I never tried it, but I'd bet I could light my A-MAZE-N-SMOKER with a candle too, but why would I bother. I don't even have any candles. We have electric here in PA. My grandparents used to keep a few candles around for when the electric went out, but we prefer flashlights for emergencies.

Thanks again,

Bear

As the OP, I'd like to inform everyone that I did by the AMAZ-N-SMOKER, but I saw the advice to get the biggest possible after I ordered the 6x6, thinking 8 hours at a time is probably enough. It seems for most of the really long smokes, the target is foiled part of the time anyway.

But in fairness, I like the idea of a head-to-head comparison. Ian seems to, also, unless it's just a way to sell one more. Scar's idea is excellent. And would certainly make for more good reading.

I have bought allot of products from US and Foriegn countries especially motorcycle parts from the UK. My choice is based on what I feel is of higher quality in product and customer service not to mention sustainability. I have not tested the PROQ. I was involved some of the initial testing of the AMAZ-N-SMKOER as were others here and have spoke with Todd in great lengths. Todd has made several design changes based on feedback from some of the forum members. He gets customer satisfaction, quality and service. That brings a powerful attribute to the table. I believe the guy behind the product is focussed on customer quality and satisfaction. I feel he is constantly keeping tabs on the quality of his smoker as well as the fuel he supplies for it. It's made in USA and that's a big bonus! It's priced very reasonably. I'm not saying PROQ isn't... I'm stating my experience with the builder, product and service. As far as operation of the unit, it's Amazing  for the price. I have several friends using it in their BBQ grills and love it. As for torches VS. candles...  I'm not into candles. When folks ask me about cold smoke generators I recommend behing the AMAZ-N-SMOKER.

I have bought allot of products from US and Foriegn countries especially motorcycle parts from the UK. My choice is based on what I feel is of higher quality in product and customer service not to mention sustainability. I have not tested the PROQ. I was involved some of the initial testing of the AMAZ-N-SMKOER as were others here and have spoke with Todd in great lengths. Todd has made several design changes based on feedback from some of the forum members. He gets customer satisfaction, quality and service. That brings a powerful attribute to the table. I believe the guy behind the product is focussed on customer quality and satisfaction. I feel he is constantly keeping tabs on the quality of his smoker as well as the fuel he supplies for it. It's made in USA and that's a big bonus! It's priced very reasonably. I'm not saying PROQ isn't... I'm stating my experience with the builder, product and service. As far as operation of the unit, it's Amazing  for the price. I have several friends using it in their BBQ grills and love it. As for torches VS. candles...  I'm not into candles. When folks ask me about cold smoke generators I recommend behing the AMAZ-N-SMOKER.
Exactly,

I would be willing to test one too, since I've been using my two & testing prototypes of Todd's. Right now I'm still doing tests on one (5 X 11) that gets 12 hours of cold smoking, or 6 hours of double smoke, but it still has a little problem in "Hot Smoking". We know it's not what it was designed for, but Todd wants people to be able to use it in hot smokes too. It is the only one that fits where I like to put one---on the bars, to the left of the chip drawer of the little MES 30.

I know the Pro Q would never fit there, and I doubt if it will fit under the drawer, on the bottom drip pan either, like the 6 X 6 and the 6 X 8 do. I can't really tell where the Pro Q would fit because I can't find anything on dimensions on their site. I guess if I took some of the meat out, I could put it on one of my meat racks. I'm sure it would fit there. I doubt if the Pro Q would work in a hot smoke, but I could be wrong.

I would test a Toyota, if they gave me one try, but I'd have to go to another town, so my friends wouldn't see me driving it
icon_redface.gif
. Then after it fell apart from trying to tow with it, I'd have to go back to my Ram anyway.

How's that song go?? "And I'm proud to be an American, da-do-dit do dit-dit-Dahhhh"........."God Bless The USAaaaaa"

Sorry about that, I'm just a habitual "Homer":

Just like in sports, I root for my old high school.

College sports---Penn State, Villanova, and Temple.

Pros---All Philly teams.

If Philly didn't have a team, it would be Pittsburg.

In other words, it's tough to sell me anything not made in USA, especially when the US product does more things & has such perfect service.

Rant over,

"Homer" Bear

Wow you're a real friendly bunch on here.

I'd be more than happy to send one of our units out, for free, to anybody that will give a non-biased, honest review.

However I don't honestly believe that will change anyones opinion on this forum, based on the comments so far, even if the ProQ out-performed it tenfold.

If anyone is serious about giving and honest review, please feel free to PM me.

Ian

Not trying to break up the momentum of this thread, but playing devil's advocate I can't help but wonder what Todd might do if he was approached by a Chinese manufacture and was offered his finished product manufactured for him to his specifications and made with same materials at 50% of his current cost? Much less work and profits on the retail side would increase substantially.....

If you knew Todd like some of us do I dont think that would ever enter your mind. I am not trying at all to be rude or confontative with you. Todd is just extremely proud of it all being done here and I can not even imagine he would consider it going anywhere else.  I could be wrong and I am not trying to speak for him but that is just the impression I have gained over the past year.  

I admitted I am a Homer, and I can't help that (born with red, white, and blue blood), but I looked at all of your posts, and I can't find one single post that was made to show any of your Q, or help anyone, or even ask how to smoke something.

They are all (9) made to try to sell your Pro Q and your candles. 

You aren't interested in smoking meat. You just want to sell your product here.

That's not what we are here for.

Don't send me one, because you obviously wouldn't believe me when I tell you the A-MAZE-N-SMOKER fits better, cold smokes better, hot smokes better, cleans up better

Nuff said.
Bearcarver

I am a member of several BBQ/ Food smoking forums around the world, where I do indeed, give advice on how to smoke food. I have looked through this forum often enough, but have yet to find a question that wasn't answered sufficiently.

"Don't send me one, because you obviously wouldn't believe me when I tell you the A-MAZE-N-SMOKER fits better, cold smokes better, hot smokes better, cleans up better"

Your entitled to an opinion, even if it is totally biased.

I am Passionate about the products I design and therefore may rise to certain comments. Please accept my apology.

Sorry if I have caused any problems here, but as this is just turning into a "mud slinging" match, I'd rather not say anymore.

Last edited:
I am a member of several BBQ/ Food smoking forums around the world, where I do indeed, give advice on how to smoke food. I have looked through this forum often enough, but have yet to find a question that wasn't answered sufficiently.

"Don't send me one, because you obviously wouldn't believe me when I tell you the A-MAZE-N-SMOKER fits better, cold smokes better, hot smokes better, cleans up better"

Your entitled to an opinion, even if it is totally biased.

You missed the point:

If you want to be friends, (you complained about us not being a friendly bunch) do something other than try to sell your product. You've been here a year. Did you ever compliment anyone in that year? Didn't anyone deserve any compliments?

Just who here is the unfriendly one?

I think Todd would want to know the honest truth if your smoker out performed his. He's that kinda guy. Because he would take that info and work on his product to improve it. The best inventions are made that way, so being biased even if yours is better would only hurt Todd in the long run. It's about genuinely caring about your customers and a passion for creating a product that is not above being improved upon. But, it's a pretty awesome product. I have two of them.  We're not here to put him on some kind of pedestal, because I would be the first to let him know something wasn't going so well. I think our first conversation was a complaint from me if I remember correctly.

PM sent

For a free one I'd give it an honest try  and give an opinion.

Wow you're a real friendly bunch on here.

I'd be more than happy to send one of our units out, for free, to anybody that will give a non-biased, honest review.

However I don't honestly believe that will change anyones opinion on this forum, based on the comments so far, even if the ProQ out-performed it tenfold.

If anyone is serious about giving and honest review, please feel free to PM me.

Ian

Not trying to break up the momentum of this thread, but playing devil's advocate I can't help but wonder what Todd might do if he was approached by a Chinese manufacture and was offered his finished product manufactured for him to his specifications and made with same materials at 50% of his current cost? Much less work and profits on the retail side would increase substantially.....

MossyMo,

Great Question! 

The answer is we did explore the "Made In China" thing, and the price difference was not enough to justify going overseas.  The price may be less, but my product would have absolutely no protection in China.  Everything made in China gets knocked off, and there's nothing a guy can do about it. They say that U.S. Patent Rights are enforced in China, but how?  Who are you gonna complain to?

In the United States, I am protected by my Patent Rights and this little piece of paper I received from the U.S. Patent Office in July 2010.  I can literally drive to the fabricator and talk to each of his employees.  My neighbor is the Shop Foreman and they employ 30 people.  The material I use is #304 stainless steel not cheaper 430 Stainless like they use in China.

Before we invested our money and time into this thing, my wife and I decided together that "Made In USA" was important to us.  We're proud of what we've accomplished in a short period of time and looking forward to good GREAT things ahead.  My little gadgets have made it to almost every State in the U.S., Canada, Australia, & even a Military base in Kuwait.  Check out STACKS on SMF..... http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/forum/thread/98152/udairi-ribs-w-q-view#post_536660

After all BBQ was invented in The United States of America!!!

Todd

Reactions: smokmifyagotm
I decided that no matter how honest I was that it would not be accepted as unbiased so I did not PM.

My first concern with the unit is the candle. Many of us have stopped using chip boxes and are using the AMS as our smoke source while still using the heating element and I would be concerned that the candle would melt all over the bottom of my smoker if used in this manner

Thanks Dave for stepping in. I am looking forward to your review

Ian replied and has one on the way.

I will try and give an honest opinion when i try it .

I 've seen both on Utube and dont own either , Ive been doing all my cold smoking with home made smoke generators so this type

will new to me .

I decided that no matter how honest I was that it would not be accepted as unbiased so I did not PM.

My first concern with the unit is the candle. Many of us have stopped using chip boxes and are using the AMS as our smoke source while still using the heating element and I would be concerned that the candle would melt all over the bottom of my smoker if used in this manner

Thanks Dave for stepping in. I am looking forward to your review

Originally Posted by Squirrel  

We're not here to put him on some kind of pedestal, because I would be the first to let him know something wasn't going so well. I think our first conversation was a complaint from me if I remember correctly.
Squirrel,

Thank goodness you complained!

We had just posted the website and the shipping tables were all screwed up.  She was charged $25 shipping on a $50 order!  Ouch!!  Easy fix and we're now BFF!!!

TJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky