A-MAZE-N Smoker -Is a single, double, or quad burn most recommended for hot smoking in MES 40?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
hkeiner..... I'm glad you kept digging for info....I understand my A-Maze-N better and I don't even have it yet....
icon_lol.gif

GREAT THREAD GUYS - I learned A LOT.  My AMNS should be here Tuesday and I can't wait!  I have just one question - what is a MES smoker?   hahaha just joking everybody!!!.  The above advice is a true resource!  Thanks for this whole site and freedom of speech right?

You know the funny thing is even from the very beginning when we were all testing these for Todd it was obvious, you almost cant make a mistake that is going to hurt your smoke. I have one of the original prototypes and two others. One of them got warped but still smokes perfectly. That is just a testament to the quality of the unit.   I cant even imagine how much dust I have gone thru since we started testing this little gadget.  Thanks for a great product Todd. 

You know the funny thing is even from the very beginning when we were all testing these for Todd it was obvious, you almost cant make a mistake that is going to hurt your smoke. I have one of the original prototypes and two others. One of them got warped but still smokes perfectly. That is just a testament to the quality of the unit.   I cant even imagine how much dust I have gone thru since we started testing this little gadget.  Thanks for a great product Todd. 
Plus 1

I'll throw a heretic suggestion here: instead of modifying existing AMNS which is a perfect tool for cold smoking with the aim to make it also perfect tool for hot smoking, how about designing dedicated hot smoking version of AMNS?

The analogy that comes to mind - I'm a biker and have  so called dual sport bike. Great bike, good on road and good to go explore off road. The problem is it is limited in dirt (too heavy) and its also limited on road or highway (limited comfort for long cruising) - it is a compromise between dirt and road bike. Serious bikers will keep one (or more) of each. I don't even want to go into tyres issue for dual sports.

Given the price of AMNS, I don't think there would be real concern of having one for cold and one for hot smokes, each of them being the perfect tool for the job on hand. If AMNS can be made as perfect dual purpose smoker - brilliant, but I reckon it won't be that easy and there will need to be some compromise made along the way. Any thoughts, or am I off the tangent here?

I'll throw a heretic suggestion here: instead of modifying existing AMNS which is a perfect tool for cold smoking with the aim to make it also perfect tool for hot smoking, how about designing dedicated hot smoking version of AMNS?

The analogy that comes to mind - I'm a biker and have  so called dual sport bike. Great bike, good on road and good to go explore off road. The problem is it is limited in dirt (too heavy) and its also limited on road or highway (limited comfort for long cruising) - it is a compromise between dirt and road bike. Serious bikers will keep one (or more) of each. I don't even want to go into tyres issue for dual sports.

Given the price of AMNS, I don't think there would be real concern of having one for cold and one for hot smokes, each of them being the perfect tool for the job on hand. If AMNS can be made as perfect dual purpose smoker - brilliant, but I reckon it won't be that easy and there will need to be some compromise made along the way. Any thoughts, or am I off the tangent here?
Hang onto your hat there is a new day a coming - Todd already has a solution in the works. This stuff takes time to do right  

i use the AMNS for cold smoking, flat out great product.....i still get down with chunks and chips for hot smoking. i like the process. only time ive used the AMNS for hot was in my weber kettle grill. i did inderect heat with AMNS next to charcoal. cooked pork tenderloin and it gave a nice smokey flavor, so it does the trick. i lit both ends, and left middle empty as well. i knew i wanted a thicker smoke for the short period i was grilling. ive learned its important to taper the dust at the thighting ends. dont know if that was in the instructions, but if so, i read over it.

I've used mine 2 time in my MES 40.  It's an awesome little tool.  If and when Todd comes out with one for hot smoking I will be getting 1.  Till then I will just use the one I have.

Laszlo,

You are a wise man and right on target my friend!

Been working on it since December

Burns Sawdust or Pellets

Cold Smoking & Hot Smoking

Anything Else?

Stay Tuned!!!

Todd

Thanks for PM Todd. My inbox got funny - it reloads itself every few seconds, so it is impossible to read the message, but what I can glimpse looks very cool. Well done, I think you'll make quite few hot-smokers very happy. I rarely do hot smoking myself, but I will definitely be getting one of these HS (hotsmoker) AMNS's, just in case.

Cheers,

Laszlo

Last edited:
I'm new to using the AMNS and for some reason, I'm having issues keeping the dust burning. I lit the tray from both ends (1 &5) and waited for a flame to burn down before putting it into the MES. It stayed lit for a little while but simply dies. I don't know if its a issue with getting air to the dust or not. Secondly, do you guys put foil underneath your AMNS to keep the sawdust from spilling thru the bottom of the tray? Could putting the foil there be the source of my problem? I'm about to cold smoke a belly and I could sure use some advice!

Thanks in advance
439.gif

I'm new to using the AMNS and for some reason, I'm having issues keeping the dust burning.
You do not indicate what  type of smoker you are using but the most common cause of not keeping the AMNS lit is lack of sufficent air flow. If you have an MES, there are several things you can do to  improve air flow. These include pulling out the chip tray and chip loader a few inches and placing a chimney pipe over the outlet. Another possible cause is that the dust is not dry enough. Some suggest heating the dust in a microwave or oven to dry it up a bit. You can do a search on this forum to find more suggestions. There are a lot  of posts on this subject.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky