A-maze-n product comparison/breakdown?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

WILL1E

Original poster
Sep 4, 2018
Appleton, WI
so I’ve searched and found a lot of post on individual a-maze-n products reviews with use on different cookers. But has anyone compiled the information into a single thread and ideally constrained just for use within pellet smokers?

I’m kinda leaning towards the 12”+ expandable since that should cover just about any length cook. I’ve always just smoked at 250 with my WSM till the meat is done, so I don’t expect to go higher with the new camp chef rig.

But has anyone compiled the information into a single thread and ideally constrained just for use within pellet smokers?

Really, the only viable options for use with a pellet grill are the tube smokers - either fixed or expanding will work. There is typically not enough residual oxygen present in a grill (pellet or gas) to reliably keep the smoke trays burning.

Not had any luck with a tube either so going to move it under the heat shield close to the pot and see what that does,also no luck on the gas grill with it just by lighting it,hardly any smoke but shut it off and come back the next days and just ashes lol

Bought the 12" standard tube which comes with 4lbs of pellets and fire starter.
With my WSM i never worried about getting smoke into the meat beyond the first 3-5hrs, so this should do just fine to start.

There is typically not enough residual oxygen present in a grill (pellet or gas) to reliably keep the smoke trays burning.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with bregent. I typically use the AMPS tray in my pellet pooper and don't have any issues with it burning or going out. The fan does a great job introducing plenty of oxygen for the pellets to continue to burn.

'Dude,
Do you set your tray on the grilling rack or someplace else?
I already bought the tube, but i just assumed i would set it on the grilling grate.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with bregent. I typically use the AMPS tray in my pellet pooper and don't have any issues with it burning or going out. The fan does a great job introducing plenty of oxygen for the pellets to continue to burn.

I have no doubt you've had great success, but that's why I said "typically" not enough O2. Many folks I know that have tried it have failed. So I recommend the tube which will work, vs the tray that might work. It all depends on the smoker you are using it with. All of the air is forced by the fan into the burn pot where O2 is consumed. How much residual O2 is present? Who knows, but apparently enough in your pit and not enough in mine.

I have the 12" tube. I don't use it on every cook but I do use it. I've found other pellets don't work as good as the A-maze-n pellets (I don't know why but they don't). Yes, I light the pellets, get them glowing and place it on the rack. The fans keep it going just fine in my Yoder 640. It's a good product and does add smoke.

I have no doubt you've had great success, but that's why I said "typically" not enough O2. Many folks I know that have tried it have failed. So I recommend the tube which will work, vs the tray that might work. It all depends on the smoker you are using it with. All of the air is forced by the fan into the burn pot where O2 is consumed. How much residual O2 is present? Who knows, but apparently enough in your pit and not enough in mine.

I'm with you on this one, Bregent. I use the tray in a 30" MES with all air paths cleared and opened and I constantly putz with relighting it. Sometimes I get 2hrs, sometimes 5-6hrs. Seems that if I have a breezy day outside, it lasts much longer. Which leads to the obvious conclusion of just putting a small fan blowing into the tube hole, but I haven't gotten hat far yet.

I gave up on the tray, and built my own tube using expanded metal, it works great. Mine is 10" long and i get a 5 hr burn. I tried the fan trick on the tray and it did't work . The tube is the answer, put it write in front of the damper and make sure it is elevated, not touching the bottom.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky