A-maze-n frustration

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbo_c

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Seems I’ve forgotten how to use mine or something. I’ve used it a ton in the past for cold smoking, but anymore, it seems it just won’t stay lit. I’ve let it burn for 1 minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes etc before blowing out the flame. I’ve dried the pellets in the oven to make sure they’re dry.

I open all the vents in the smoker fully.

It just keeps going out. I get 30 minutes to an hour, then it’s out.

I’ve used it many times successfully and I’m a believer, but what have I forgotten? I’m about ready to throw it in the garbage.

Jbo

Reactions: JLeonard
Dry the pellets out in the oven on warm for a couple of hours first and see if that helps.

Check the holes in the tray itself, sometimes they get blocked which lowers airflow. Are you using the same type pellets I always had trouble keeping the fruit ones lit. What type smoker ya have.

Use oven cleaner on the tray to clean it.

Use dry pellets.

Keep a flame for at least 10 minutes before blowing out.

Ensure air supply

Not sure of your altitude, but the tray is for lower altitude and the tube for higher altitude. That’s why there are two different options. Just checking.

I do several rounds in the microwave for 1 minute on high, resting in between for a minute until the pellets are warm (and NOT hot), then I load the tube.

I’m using the tray. @1000’

I dried the last batch in a 300F oven for 2 hours plus.

I’ll verify the holes are clean, but I’m pretty sure they are.

Started from both ends at lunch. Just checked it and one end went out. The other end is still going.

Jbo

just now went out and the other side was extinguished too. Augh!!!

I hit mine with a propane torch until i have a bunch of red burning pellets.

Let it burn with visible flame for 10 minutes before extinguishing the flame.

What flavor of pellets are you using? Cherry does not like staying lit by themselves.

Welded some nuts and bolts to raise mine to get better airflow. Make sure holes are cleaned as stated.

These are hickory. Can’t remember who made them.

Jbo

10 minutes is the the amount of time the flame should burn per the instructions that come with the AMNPS... if I remember correctly.

I do 2 rounds of microwaving at 1min 25s each round. My microwave will make them smoke if I go longer.

I also light with a propane torch.

All Cherry or heavy amounts of Cherry pellets simply will not want to burn.

Ensure you have good airflow.

If you are putting AMNPS inside your smoker then you are likely lacking airflow. A mailbox mod with some tweaking should solve this problem.

You can always switch to a pellet tube since it needs less oxygen.

Hope this info helps :)

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s air flow. I’ve used it in this setup plenty of times successfully.

I have wondered about trying a tube, thoughz

Thanks for all the ideas.

Jbo

Reactions: tallbm
I'm having the same trouble keeping my Lumberjack apple and hickory pellets lit in a tube. I use them in a Weber Jumbo Joe with vents fully open and handful of lump charcoal in the opposite side. Didn't have any problems last winter using Rural King Apple. I bought the RK pellets in Florida last winter and brought the LJ from Minnesota this winter.
I'm going to bake the LJ pellets in the oven and see if that helps my problem.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky