A-MAZE-N AMNPS Maze can this be used with wood chips?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jaspreet

Original poster
Nov 12, 2019
I’m thinking about to upgrade the little square tray for smoking chips in my dynaglow electric smoker to the AMNPS tray
I see some other brands saying to use wood chips and this brand saying pellets.. can i put this tray box directly on top of the electric heating element ?
A-MAZE-N AMNPS Maze Pellet Smoker, Hot or Cold Smoking, 5 x 8 Inch

No, don't put it on top of the elements. Use pellets not chips. Get the pellets burning via a torch and after insuring it stays burning (5-10 min), place it in a location that has some airflow in order to allow the pellets to keep burning.

Steve just to clarify for me as I've also wondered, the amnps can burn pellets or dust but the amns is just for dust? I have the amnps and always use pellets but thought about using dust for smoking cheese.
Ryan

The tray can do both. Pellets or dust. The tube, to my knowledge, can only do pellets. I have the 5x8 tray. And the 6" and 12" tubes. And have only used pellets in those.

Just my $.02 which was not stated if you place on top of heating element you will set the hold tray on fire not just 1 row. Which would defeat the burn time and principle of the tray.

Warren

You are correct, of course. I didn't bother to mention that because schlotz schlotz stated not to place the tray directly over the element. Doesn't hurt to be thorough though.

The tray can do both. Pellets or dust. The tube, to my knowledge, can only do pellets. I have the 5x8 tray. And the 6" and 12" tubes. And have only used pellets in those.
I have been using Bradley pucks ground to sawdust in my A-MAZE 6” Oval tube. Had a bunch of pucks given to me that I initially thought wouldn’t work in my MES. I get about 5 hours of TBS. I first tried them in the chip tray, that was a mistake, thought the fire department might show up. Lots of heavy white smoke at 225F

Reactions: zwiller
There are a few guys running dust in the tube but I don't think it is officially supposed to do it. I think they pack it tight for it to work.

Myself and a few others are running dust on everything now. I have same issue with tons of pellets. I make small batches of dust with a grinder but need a better method for larger batches.

Myself and a few others are running dust on everything now. I have same issue with tons of pellets. I make small batches of dust with a grinder but need a better method for larger batches.
I have an old grain grinder from my homebrew days, replace the hand crank with a 3/8" drill and grinding pellets would take no time. The grain grinder is robust enough that it will long out live me.

Reactions: zwiller
Thought about that as I have a monster mill. I wonder about putting a pound or 2 in a hop sack and dunking it and hang to dry but no hop bags here.

If i use the AMNPS tray, just for ribs, what should be a good amount to only burn for 5-6 hours half way? What’s the best to use it if I’m not smoking for all them hours?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky