A-MAZ-N 12" vs Expandable 12-18" Smoke Tube

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GrumpyGriller

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 29, 2021
I've seen that many use a smoke tube for a variety of reasons. In my vocase I think it would add smoke to my Traeger Timberline 1300, and allow me to also try cold smoking.

I was looking at their 12" and the expandable 12-18", but it seems the hole designs are very different.

Any experience/advice would be great!

Thanks
-GG

Grumpy,
I'm using the 6" A-Maze-N pellet tube that is oval shaped. Works great for approx two hours worth of smoke. If I need smoke for a longer time, say four or six hours, I light a second one when the first is about out. For me it works best for short, high heat cooks on the gasser. You will love it for smoking cheese.

I have the 12" regular tube, and the 6"-12" expandable tube. I use the expandablew as a second when doing long cooks like Pork Butt or Brisket. Otherwise I use the 12" regular 99% of the time. I get the same smoke time from both, about 5-6 hours once it gets going.

I have a 6” Oval Amazen in an electric smoker. I can’t run whole pellets, way too much smoke. In an oxygen depleted environment it might be okay, never tried. The oval doesn’t have the smaller round hole but rather elongated openings. I’m told the Oval is for higher elevations. I’m at 4900’ and that’s not high enough for TBS.

I have the 6" and the expandable 12" to 18". The only time I use the expandable stretched out is for bacon, and then only about 15".
They both work fine in my mailbox.
Thanks all - I see there's a 7-12" version as well and that sounds like a good range.

Appreciate all the feedback!
-GG

I have the 12 to 18” oval with the slats for holes. Be mindful when extended partially that the slats (holes) on the inner tube line up with the outer tube holes. It is possible to block the air holes and have a burn out when the holes don’t line up and block the air flow.

Reactions: GrumpyGriller
I have the 12 to 18” oval with the slats for holes. Be mindful when extended partially that the slats (holes) on the inner tube line up with the outer tube holes. It is possible to block the air holes and have a burn out when the holes don’t line up and block the air flow.
Thanks for the heads-up !

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky