A green but keen South West smoker.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Agreed it may look the part, lets hope its performs as well eh Mark. I'm aware i'll have a lot of sealing to do with fire rope around the doors and some heat resistant silicone or putty in other areas.

How have you been ?

You and me both Danny, she's going to replace my kitchen for sure
icon_lol.gif

BTW if it's not a stupid question is it in your front garden - if so your're going to get a crown everytime you fire up !

No Mark it's in the back but because of the lack of fence panels at present every Tom, Dick and Harry has popped around to see what's happening. One chap even asked when was the invasion
roflmao.gif

Last edited:
I was one step ahead of you Danny, i submitted the plans for everything to cover my own ass. It would have broken me to have pulled it all down after so much time and effort has gone into it's production.
thumbsup.gif

Looking good - a few years ago I stayed with some people in Spain who had an outdoor kitchen on their patio. It's called (I think) an Andalusian patio and had grapevines overhead. They provide shade (and grapes) in summer and the sun can get in and warm it up in the winter. I have plans to build something like your project, sheltered by grapevines, when I eventually return to my native NZ.
... nothing more rewarding than seeing the smile or smiles on your guests faces on providing great quality and tasty food.

I like it when you serve the food and it goes quiet except for the sounds of gluttony - chewing, slurping and bones on plates.

Keep the photos coming.

Looking good - a few years ago I stayed with some people in Spain who had an outdoor kitchen on their patio. It's called (I think) an Andalusian patio and had grapevines overhead. They provide shade (and grapes) in summer and the sun can get in and warm it up in the winter. I have plans to build something like your project, sheltered by grapevines, when I eventually return to my native NZ.

I like it when you serve the food and it goes quiet except for the sounds of gluttony - chewing, slurping and bones on plates.

Keep the photos coming.
I can picture it now and what a thought ! The one moment i'm looking forward to is finely sitting back with a cold one, admiring the work, the hard effort that's gone into the project and thinking yes, it was worth the trouble.

The only issue is i'll never be able to move because i wont be wanting to do this again
icon_lol.gif

I'll certainly keep the photos coming and thank you for the compliment, have a great weekend.

That is a work of art, Iam just a bit concerned that your neighbours are all going to be your best mates in short order when you have it finished. Fair do's Lee, it does look good, I can't wait to see you fire it up.
Thanks for sharing.Thumbs Up

That is a work of art, Iam just a bit concerned that your neighbours are all going to be your best mates in short order when you have it finished. Fair do's Lee, it does look good, I can't wait to see you fire it up.
Thanks for sharing.
icon14.gif
My sentiments exactly Baz, I'd frame the entire thing if it wasn't so big
laugh1.gif
 As for firing it up, i can't wait and it doesn't help that I'm tormenting myself by scanning the threads for some good ideas and recipes.

that's a cracking looking build. think its bigger than my first flat
Ha.. love this although I am slightly concerned now that someone might move into the void below the pizza oven. That said at least they won't go hungry eh 
icon_lol.gif

Hello Lee.  Well here ya go!  Jump in at the deep end!

Different parts of the States are known for different smoked meat and styles.  For Texas it is sliced brisket.  Not pulled, that is for pulled pork.  I slice pork butt but that’s another story.  I have been smoking brisket for almost 40 years and as I am OLD  school and from south Texas; I am going to give you my take on traditional smoked Tx. style sliced brisket.  I still learn a trick or two every time I cook but this is how I learned it.  This may sound boring as no rubs are used, but trust me, folks were doing brisket like this a long time and the taste of a traditional, properly cooked and smoked brisket is a thing you will not forget.  I do not  trim my brisket before smoking, I trim when I slice.  I smoke all large cuts fat side up ( thought being the fat bastes the meat ).  I do not use rubs, salt and black pepper or cayenne pepper only.  I season the meat as the smoker comes up to temp.  I do not add sauce.  I serve it on the side.  I try to let the taste of the meat and smoke shine.  IMHO rubs and sauces can detract from the taste of the meat.  Quality brisket does not need to have the taste hidden.  I do sometimes mop/baste to add a slight flavor change.  Bark belongs on Carolina style pulled pork, not sliced brisket as it CAN be hard and tough on sliced brisket.  I don’t foil until the rest period.  I would say that IF you are going to foil and continue to cook a mop is NOT necessary because you will probably add some sort of Au Jus to the foil , but if you want to mop to add a certain flavor it ain't gonna hurt it.  I don’t do burnt ends ( but they ARE good ).  The conventional method calls for a temp of around 225 but I would run the temp round 300 – 350 ( if you can't reach that temp in your smoker no prob just use 225 and add a little time ).  Pull it off the smoker at 190-195 IT and rest for at least 2 hours wrapped in foil and towels or blanket.  Wood SHOULD be mesquite by tradition, but pecan, oak, and hickory are good ( in that order IMHO ). A mix of Pecan , Oak and cherry is good.   Having said all that I must admit ( if lightning doesn’t strike me ) that this is not the ONLY way to achieve a great tasting  brisket.  This is all personal preference based on tradition.  If you LIKE rubs and sauces then by ALL means add them.  MANY threads here to help you with those.  Chef Jimmy J has a good au jus recipe.  Brisket is really pretty easy but the KEY!!!! to brisket is patience, and patience, and more patience;  and no peeking; LEAVE THAT DOOR CLOSED!    Buy a good dual probe therm and use it.  My MAIN advice is to write down everything.  Weight, temp, rub, mop, wood, time, foil/no foil, and anything else you can think of including weather conditions.  Next time you will have options to change whatever.  Find what you and the family like and stick with it.  Sorry for the novel.  Good luck.  Be sure to let us know how it turns out as we are a nosey bunch, and don't forget the Q-view.  Good luck.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/145267/hot-and-fast-brisket

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...r-the-misconception-of-the-1-to-1-5-hour-rule

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/...eption-of-the-1-to-1-5-hour-rule#post_1206230

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/151888/brisket

Danny you're a top man, thank you for all of the above.

I'm at a stage where I'm thinking ahead now, anticipating the curing period for the BBQ/smoker etc, small fires to slowly bring up temps, finding and sealing gaps, experimenting to find out how the temp inside the smoker rises and at what rate etc.

On top of this I'm starting to think about what I'll be cooking when I have a few friends over, initially I'll try smoking a brisket during a practice run and to see what areas I need to focus on a little more. Once this is complete, I as you said, really am going to jump in at the deep also. I intend to cook the following...

BBQ.
1. Homemade burgers both spicy and standard.
2. Steak.
3. Sausages.
4. Corn on the cob.

Smoker.
1. Brisket.
2. Approx 3 fatties.
3. ABT's

With all of this in mind I'm now looking for "how to" type walk throughs and certain ways to prepare all of the above so what you've written won't go to waste.

To finish off I wouldn't mind an idea for a king prawn recipe plus I also have a dutch oven I wouldn't mind using, perhaps a chilli or a gumbo I'm thinking, any ideas ?

Lee.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky