A good set of knives

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Deer Meat

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 8, 2006
Southwest Pennsylvania
Hello all

I was on the sausage maker website and I saw they had a knife set in a case for $23.00 (model #81295)

Does anybody have this set of knives, or have a recommendation for a different set. I just can't see these being any good for $23.00 :(

I really like the idea of having them in a case for taking camping and to deer camp and such.

Thanks
Deer Meat

I'm a knife snob. I have tried literally 30 different kinds of knives. I have come to the conclusion, that cheap knives are just that.

My favorite general purpose:
Wüsthof Classic 7-Inch Hollow Edge Santoku Knife $80

For heavy duty:
Wüsthof Classic 8-Inch Cook's Knife $90

Quality knives are cheaper in the long run. They will be with you forever.

Note: Wüsthof now makes several knives that look like the ones listed here but are of lower quality and less expensive. Buy the highest quality you can afford.

Thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s true, ya get what ya pay for…however I have an old chinese prep cleaver ($9.00) that is just the chit, it will slice garlic so thin you can almost see through it! I just hit it a couple times with my steel after each use. Now J.A. Henkel makes a nice line of forged Santoku knives too ($70-$90 range). Nothing more dangerous than a dull knife!
wink.gif

I like my Wustoff and Henckels knives. I've found that they both make cheaper grades ( usually w/ Brazilian, or Spanish steel ). For the good ones, look for the forged hilts. I've also found that they will warranty even the cheaper ones.

My favorite workhorse knives are my Forschners, and the usually underrated Dexter/Russells. Plastic handles are comfortable, and go straight into the dishwasher. Best I can tell, a $25.00 Russell chef knife will hold an edge as well as any $150.00 knife.

Thanks guys,

Do any of the knives that you know of have cases to store them in and for transporting :?:

Seems like I've seen carving sets that come in cases, and probably steak knife sets as well.

We don't own any cased sets. We usually just wrap the blades in a few layers of paper towels to transport. Some of our Frschners come in a plasric sleeve, and we use them too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky