A few mods for the Chargriller Kamado Kooker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I don't know squat about those cookers but I did find this information...  maybe it helps.....

Charcoal iron grate

45.00 USD

Charcoal iron grate

45.00 USD

800x600_007f66c4ae0a2947035bb4e0d6ace3d9.jpeg

This grate fits a large #5 kamado Made of heavy iron. It holds the charcoal in place in the bottom of the firebox. With its extra thickness & heaviness design it will last forever. Shipping included to lower 48 states.

This grate fits a large #5 kamado Made of heavy iron. It holds the charcoal in place in the bottom of the firebox. With its extra thickness & heaviness design it will last forever. Shipping included to lower 48 states.

Firebox and charcoal grate

179.00 USD

Firebox and charcoal grate

179.00 USD

120x120_20d480815c8b5ce174bbc7421d9e85c1.jpeg

Kamado King Inc firebox is designed to fit all kamados that use an 18-21" grill. Made of heavy earthenwaare clay with an iron charcoal grate. It is made with the highest quality materials and fired at 2200 degrees.

Kamado King Inc firebox is designed to fit all kamados that use an 18-21" grill. Made of heavy earthenwaare clay with an iron charcoal grate. It is made with the highest quality materials and fired at 2200 degrees.
Add to cart

icon_CC_LG.png

pixel.gif

Fireboxes are used in all kamados to hold the charcoal in place. It creates the energy & heat to barbacue or smoke your meat. Unlike any other bbq kamados are double thick. Firebox on inside and base on the outside. Tbhis is the key to kamados succes, good insulation.

Deflector Plate

51.00 USD

Deflector Plate

51.00 USD

800x600_2e7646dd219395b520fe91b1016fcbee.jpeg

Deflector plate is used for indirect cooking at high heat to prevent burning of meats. Shipping included to lower 48 states

Deflector plate is used for indirect cooking at high heat to prevent burning of meats. Shipping included to lower 48 states

So here's my update....

Today was the first day I am actually cooking on Sweetie Pie, yes she had to have a name lol.

I got my fire going to where I was satisfied with it and put my reflector stone in and a pan of apple juice on it.

The butt had been rubbed down in my home made rub.

We've been sitting on 235-237 for over an hr now with minimum adjustments.

We may be doing something right ;)

Sorry to bring this back after a few months, but I'm going to be applying the RTV silicon to the bottom air vent this weekend.

Question - after removing the vent, do you apply the silicone to the back of it and then re-attach it so it bonds with the body of the akorn, or do you apply it only to the metal vent part then let it set so that it seals when it's screwed back on?  Does that make sense?  Basically are you "permanently" attaching the vent piece or it's still removable just with a better gasket?

Last edited:
Wow, a blast from the past. I suppose you are permanently attaching it at least as permanent as silicone could be.
I actually tried to do the whole thing with LavaLock felt nomex gaskets this weekend.

The dome seems fine, but the vent is terrible.  I put felt all around the opening where it contacts the ashpan, but I guess having to cut little pieces for the sides may have created some gaps.  Not sure.

So yeah I'm back to trying the RTV.  I'd rather NOT make it permanent (commitment issues, I guess) but I don't see any way around it.   Is there any good way to do it without it being permanent?  I've read about using wax paper while it's curing, but that doesn't seem like a great solution to me.

Also, would you recommend applying it to the vent or to the ashpan itself (or both?)  The stock sealent was only on the vent side.

Thanks, I'll do that.  I'm not worried about getting it off the vent, I'm worried about being able to separate the vent from the smoker altogether! 

Of course the only reason I'd need to do that would be if I still have air leaks and need to make a third attempt at sealing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky