A dozen Salmon Tails

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
The smoke Salmon section in my freezer #1 was getting a little low, so I pulled a dozen Salmon tails to smoke up.

Here ya go:

Drying after being dry brined for 7 hours.
B3A5A9F0-811A-44A5-8BBB-7BE6C4BE066F.jpeg

Into the ever so reliable smoker, my MES40:
34641ED0-7B9C-4453-8997-963C26182D51.jpeg

:emoji_sunglasses:

Auber PID controlled. Extra Thermoworks smoke temp gauge. My favorite mailbox mod. Burning Alder then Apple pellets.
68A2254A-0177-4B32-9AD0-58D4680A8EAC.jpeg

Finished products after a 4.5 hour smoke starting at 125*, finishing at 143*
C5291ADB-3DC5-4AD3-A862-13AAC5941F4D.jpeg

Consolidating onto just 2 racks during cooling so I can clean the others.
33B0C77D-7CFF-4362-BCF4-2C7B73ECF254.jpeg

A little bit of pepper based on popularity demand :emoji_sunglasses:
778A18C7-F7EB-410E-808C-0B92C3D1D9F2.jpeg

Last edited:
The smoke Salmon section in my freezer #1 was getting a little low, so I pulled a dozen Salmon tails to smoke up.

Here ya go:

Drying after being dry brined for 7 hours.
View attachment 522333

Into the ever so reliable smoker, my MES40:
View attachment 522334

:emoji_sunglasses:

Auber PID controlled. Extra Thermoworks smoke temp gauge. My favorite mailbox mod. Burning Alder then Apple pellets.
View attachment 522335

Finished products after a 4.5 hour smoke starting at 125*, finishing at 143*
View attachment 522336

Consolidating onto just 2 racks during cooling so I can clean the others.
View attachment 522339

A little bit of pepper based on popularity demand :emoji_sunglasses:
View attachment 522340
Real, fish as well, and it looks awesome, none of that farm raise bath tub garbage from the East Coast.
I save all the collars, tails and bellies just for smoking. For me, it's wild fish/seafood or nothing.
I won't go near any farmed fish/seafood with a 30' pole...YUCK!!!

Reactions: mneeley490
Thanks everyone for the kind words. A couple of our neighbors already profited from my work yesterday, which is what I want. Making more room in the freezer for this next season's catch. Whatever I don't give away immediately will be kept for feeding our fellow fishing buddies while we go out on our local charters.

Real pretty work Craig.

Skinned or skin on?

Your a rich man. (In Salmon tails, at least).

Always skin on for our tails and filets. If I am doing Salmon nuggets, skin off of course.

I have to learn how to do that. I need my smoker mods.first though, waiting on parts 😎

They look delicious.
Let's get er done.

Man that looks good. Think I could eat that with out anything else.
Jim

Funny, that's what I do quite often. Just peel the skin off, scrape off most of the dark meat and start chompin'

Regards
Craig

Looks delicious! I really like how you group up all the tails for storage. I always smoke all the pieces together but tails, belly, and mid section all seem to have different brine and smoke times.

Thanks everyone for the kind words. A couple of our neighbors already profited from my work yesterday, which is what I want. Making more room in the freezer for this next season's catch. Whatever I don't give away immediately will be kept for feeding our fellow fishing buddies while we go out on our local charters.

Always skin on for our tails and filets. If I am doing Salmon nuggets, skin off of course.

Regards
Craig
Thanks for the comeback Craig. I always leave the skin on cooking fillets of any fish. Holds in a lot of flavor and moisture, IMO.

Care to share the brine recipe, Craig? I don't smoke salmon often, as I still haven't found a recipe I really like.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky