A Different Take On Fajitas (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
I wanted fajitas a few nights ago but didn't really want the same ol' same ol' so thought I'd try something different. Decided to do chunks of meat with my fajita seasoning, but in a light, rich, flavorful sauce. I'd get all the flavors but a somewhat different textural aspect. Hmmm....seemed like a good idea, and it turned out to be a great idea!! Here we go:

Got the stew beef out and cut it into smaller pieces
006.jpg

Into a pan on the stove
007.jpg

Lightly brown it and add 2 T of my fajita seasoning
008.jpg

Add 1/4 cup of beef broth to create the gravy
009.jpg

Let it cook down. The fajita seasoning has corn starch in it so that acted as a thickening agent for the gravy
010.jpg

Got some onions and peppers going with a touch of garlic and my garlic olive oil
011.jpg

Re-fried beans in another pot
012.jpg

Homemade fire roasted salsa. This stuff is SOOOO good!! Not much left here but I made more the next day
013.jpg

Some queso fresco
014.jpg

Time to start building the "fajitas". Start with some meat
016.jpg

Add veggies
017.jpg

Queso fresco
018.jpg

Salsa
019.jpg

Dinner all plated with some sour cream, guac, and re-fried beans
020.jpg

Not a fancy meal at all but the fajitas were exactly what I was hoping for. A nice light gravy to really add to the textural aspects but not a full-blown sauce like carne guisada. For the record I'll state that I'm a gravy junkie. I love gravy in pretty much any form and this just seemed tome like the perfect combination. We get all the flavors we love so much from my fajita seasoning plus the light sauciness. Add to that the incredible flavor of the fire roasted salsa and we have a home run!! I'd never made salsa before and just decided a few days prior to give it a run. First batch was really good. Second batch was better. Third batch was off the charts because it was the first one I fore roasted the tomatoes and onions. OMG!! This stuff is to die for. We literally sat down and ate an entire batch of the stuff and a bag of tortilla chips when I got it dialed in. Another staple added to our list of goodies as well as another way to enjoy one of our favorite meals, being fajitas.

Thanks for dropping in and wait till you see what I have planned for dinner tonight :emoji_astonished:
Robert

Looks good! We haven't fajitas in a long time. Tomorrow I'm doing burritos though.

If'n you decide you'd like to make fajitas and want a REALLY good spice mix, just let me know and I'll send mine along. I thought about posting it in the thread but it was getting long enough already :emoji_wink:

Over using bandwidth again,
Robert

Fajitas look really good! That’s a neat way of making them with the beef cubes. They look really meaty and lean, not your usual scrap stew beef you see in the store.
Yum!

As always this looks great Robert I like the idea of the gravy mixture in there! Different but with the same fajita flavoring. Making me hungry just looking at it! Look forward to seeing what's in the bag for tonight!

Another delcious cook Robert!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. You should expect a package tomorrow.

Looks really good! Love fajitas!

We do too and thank you!!

That looks delicious! Is your fajita seasoning recipe a closely guarded family secret?

Not at all a secret. I offered to Steve a couple responses ago to post it but my original thread was getting a bit lengthy. Here ya go

2 T corn starch
4 t chili powder
2 t salt
2 t paprika (smoked is best)
2 t sugar
2 t garlic powder
2 t beef bouillon
1 t onion powder
1 t meat tenderizer
1 t black pepper
½ t cayenne
½ t coriander
1 t guajillo pepper
1 t ancho pepper
½ t arbol pepper

It took a couple times to get it dialed in but this is really, really good!!

Robert

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianGSDTexoma
Fajitas look really good! That’s a neat way of making them with the beef cubes. They look really meaty and lean, not your usual scrap stew beef you see in the store.
Yum!

Thank you Joe!! It was certainly a different take on fajitas but they were very good. I'll certainly be doing these again. It's just different....and you know I'm known to do different things once in a while :emoji_wink:

Ever the trend setter (???)
Robert

As always this looks great Robert I like the idea of the gravy mixture in there! Different but with the same fajita flavoring. Making me hungry just looking at it! Look forward to seeing what's in the bag for tonight!

Thanks so much John. Once in a while i get one to come out as I'd hoped going in. I lucked out and this one did just that. This is actually a VERY easy meal to make and oh so good!! Tonight's dinner came out WAY better than anticipated. You'll see it in the "Pork" forum shortly if the margaritas will allow my fingers to work their magic (haa haa haa) on the keyboard.

Keyboard is winning as usual,
Robert

Farito? Nugito? Whatever, it looks delicious to me

Thanks Moto!! It was some really tasty stuff, that's fr sure.

I didn't think Texans :emoji_muscle: were supposed to say/admit things like that.:emoji_grin:

You may be right...to a point at least. I've never had an issue however admitting my shortcomings to the good folks here. It's a reality that everybody has to face. At some point in your life there is always something you've never done before :emoji_laughing: This was mine...but the only one of course (NOT!!) :emoji_wink:

Tellin' the truth, the whole truth, and nuttin' but the truth,
Robert

Reactions: Mastercaster
Another delcious cook Robert!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. You should expect a package tomorrow.

Thank you Jeff, for the kind words and the expectation of something really cool coming my way. I've shared a lot of stuff with SMF members recently with no expectation of anything in return. Well, that ain't the way folks here roll. My mailbox has been overflowing with stuff from great folks like you. This year has been SO much fun!! Can't wait for next year so we can do it all over again.

Awed by the generosity of the folks here,
Robert

Reactions: jcam222
We do too and thank you!!

Not at all a secret. I offered to Steve a couple responses ago to post it but my original thread was getting a bit lengthy. Here ya go

2 T corn starch
4 t chili powder
2 t salt
2 t paprika (smoked is best)
2 t sugar
2 t garlic powder
2 t beef bouillon
1 t onion powder
1 t meat tenderizer
1 t black pepper
½ t cayenne
½ t coriander
1 t guajillo pepper
1 t ancho pepper
½ t arbol pepper

It took a couple times to get it dialed in but this is really, really good!!

Robert
Thanks Robert! Much appreciated. I’m going to try this real soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky