A couple - three WSM questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cmayna

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 23, 2012
SF Bay Area, CA
I recently inherited a WSM18. Though I am very happy with my Weber grill with indirect heat, thought it might be fun to play with this WSM. So here's a couple questions:

Rusty charcoal grate:
Is a rusty charcoal grate bad to use? I have a new grate but was thinking of using the original one on top or underneath the new one but rotated rotated 90 degrees in order to create a finer grate pattern preventing some chunks of charcoal from falling through.

Heat shield:
This old turd does not have a heat shield. Is it's purpose to help reduce heat falling down on say a wooden deck? This beast will be residing next to my Weber grill way out by my shop on a old concrete slab.

Door gasket:
Best to install a high temp resistant gasket on the door or around the opening?

Thanks
Craig

Rust? No problem. I have 2x90 degree stack and it works great.

No heat shield? No problem on concrete. Stick a $1 paver under it if you're concerned.

Gasket? It helps with lower chamber temps, like 150F for jerky. Not really necessary for general smoking, but 225F could be a challenge if it leaks a lot or is out of round.

I have an 18 too. I wouldn't worry at all about rust on the coal grate. I don't think you need to worry about there being enough air flow to worry about it getting up to your chow.

In my experience the charcoal pieces wind up mighty small by the time they fall through the grate, but I can't think of a down side to your two grate idea. I'd say give it a shot.

I've never seen a live coal in the shield under the smoker. I use mine on a dirt floor in a barn, most often. I wouldn't worry about it on a concrete slab.

Somewhere In the past I saw a post about someone using high temp RTV, (Automotive gasket in a tube), to create that seal. I don't recall which surface they put it on, but I do remember that they used packaging tape on the other surface to keep it from sticking to that surface. My guess is that the RTV may bond better to the aluminum door than the ceramic coating on the cooker.

I haven't bothered with a door gasket. After a half dozen or ten smokes all gaps got good and "grunked" up and self sealed. You can carefully bend the door to more closely fit the cooker.

I have done a lot of low/slow smokes in my kettle but find the WSM easier to control temps in and less "figity" for long smokes.

Enjoy your new cooker.

Thanks guys. Fun having another different type of smoker toy to play with. I can only learn something new.

Reactions: chopsaw
Mines a 14 , but so much fun to use . Not sure if it was mentioned above , but use both coal grates and also attach the charcoal ring to the grates . You can lift the whole works out together and shake it out .
Enjoy .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky