A Chuck Roast for the Spit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I would think twice the size of yours could easily be had, but a problem you may run into is that there are very few butcher shops that break down whole beef quarters anymore. It's all done at corporate processing plants now and shipped out as "box beef" or, like Walmart gets, pre-cut and packaged meats. So you're stuck with whatever the store has, no specialty cuts.

There really isn't much true "shoulder roast" in that area. Get a little above and behind there where the shoulder blade is and it's chuck roast, or blade roast or 7 bone chuck, like this...
View attachment 654567
The upper bone in this picture is the cow's shoulder blade, or 7 bone as it's called. Some meat cutters or butcher shops may fudge it a little depending on what the customers want and what they can charge, but the muscle groups start to change some. But I wouldn't hesitate to do a boneless chuck roast the same way you did the shoulder. A meat department that actually cuts meat will cut you one about any size you want...
Thank you sir!

Thank you sir!
You are more than welcome! A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I was a meat cutter for Winn Dixie, The Beef People. At that time we actually got beef in in whole quarters...front quarters and hind quarters. That's how I was taught to cut meat. The front quarter would include the shoulder, chuck, rib, brisket, shank, and some neck. We would break it down to sell as roasts, ribeye steaks, stew meat, burger, etc. That was over 40 years ago and not that I could physically do it today, it's like riding a bike...whew, time flies...

Reactions: Retired Spook
That roast beef was so good I think I might try anutherun...

9.24-pounds of prime boneless chuck shoulder...
IMG_1513.jpg

According the the meat manager, the red lines (image below) indicate approximately where the previously spit roasted shoulder roast came from and is the "prime of the prime" for these packages. I am going to try and trim the largest roast I can out of it - leaving more at the larger end of the roast - and grind the rest for burgers.

Or maybe I will smoke the whole thing sort of like a baby beef shoulder clod! 😎

IMG_1513a.jpg

I am having an internal debate as to whether I should repeat the spit roast, or smoke it. I am very curious to see what the results would be if smoked after an over-night rest with the unsalted beef broth / Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce injections, the only downside being what I presume would be a much longer cook time in the smoker - although I could smoke it hot the way Kreuz Meats says they do for their shoulder clod...

We'll see what happens - I have a couple days of unpleasantly warm weather to get through before I have to make a decision.

But I will say that the rotisserie method of roasting a beef over an open fire produces spectacular results, in my humble opinion. I am very happy that I bought myself that rotisserie for Christmas.

I'll never buy a prime rib ever again! Taste fantastic 3X past my best hope!!! I am at a total loss to explain this
Isn't that an amazing feeling? Doesn't happen often but when it does, it sure feels good. That is an absolutely gorgeous roast and it's great to hear that it exceeded all of your expectations. Congrats sir!!

Robert

Reactions: Retired Spook
Isn't that an amazing feeling? Doesn't happen often but when it does, it sure feels good. That is an absolutely gorgeous roast and it's great to hear that it exceeded all of your expectations. Congrats sir!!

Robert
Thank you sir!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky